Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window Glue

I'm still curious why you seem to have so many issues with keeping the glass in place and going thru motors, etc. Is it just because you're talking about several MN-12's?

If it were the same car, I'd be looking at the glass binding in the channel, but if it's just common to a fleet, maybe it's just age, etc.

Im a bit surpised as well that you all are having problems with the adhesive. The 3m 2-part stuff Im sure is fantastic, but for me, I've never really had problems after switching to plain jane black RTV. I did have some issues with using too stiff of an adhesive, (e.g. Gorilla glue and JB weld) in that they would only hold up for maybe a year. What I determined is that the surface needed to be cleaned very well with a solvent, and the adhesive needed to be non-hard set. In short, it needed just a bit of give to accomodate the torque and shock of movement and temperature changes.

My RTV solutions have held up for longer than I can recall. 8-10 years??

Yeah, the issue is the number of different cars I've had to do this to . Plus, you always have two separate issues, per door (bushings and glass clips). They never seem to all go at once, so you could have one window get unclipped first, then the motor on the other side....and so on.

Luckily, if memory serves me, from the 3 birds I have now...all motors and all windows have been done! So, hopefully I won't deal with this...until the next bird comes along .
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

Quote Originally Posted by TbirdSCFan View Post
    Im a bit surpised as well that you all are having problems with the adhesive. The 3m 2-part stuff Im sure is fantastic, but for me, I've never really had problems after switching to plain jane black RTV. I did have some issues with using too stiff of an adhesive, (e.g. Gorilla glue and JB weld) in that they would only hold up for maybe a year. What I determined is that the surface needed to be cleaned very well with a solvent, and the adhesive needed to be non-hard set. In short, it needed just a bit of give to accomodate the torque and shock of movement and temperature changes.

My RTV solutions have held up for longer than I can recall. 8-10 years??
    I've had 6 T-Bird's that have been daily drivers, so it's been a fleet issue with me. I've re-used motors off parts cars as much as I can, but and tried some window "goop" first...which was years ago. It's that tarry junk that is usually used on windshields, I think. It held up great until hot weather. Since that mess, I wanted what was known to work, so I bought a applicator cartridge of the adhesive. It lasted 7-8yrs at least...seems like I might have finally tossed it last time I had to use it. If RTV works, that's great too though! Less chemicals to keep on hand!

There are multiple weak links that develop - several with the motor (shaft, large plastic gear, the stubs), the window clip adhesive are the common ones. I've worn out the channels too (wore the fuzzies off)...which causes problems too, as you can imagine. I wore out a regulator too....that was fun replacing. With the other items making it harder to get the windows up and down, you definitely want whatever works for a long time....do you know the condition of your window channels? Or whether there is any struggle to rolling your windows up or down? If there is, I'd say RTV may be the way to go, if you're like me and don't start tearing into something immediately after a nuisance problems shows up.
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj ¶ RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? ¶ Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    I've had 6 T-Bird's that have been daily drivers, so it's been a fleet issue with me. I've re-used motors off parts cars as much as I can, but and tried some window "goop" first...which was years ago. It's that tarry junk that is usually used on windshields, I think. It held up great until hot weather. Since that mess, I wanted what was known to work, so I bought a applicator cartridge of the adhesive. It lasted 7-8yrs at least...seems like I might have finally tossed it last time I had to use it. If RTV works, that's great too though! Less chemicals to keep on hand!

There are multiple weak links that develop - several with the motor (shaft, large plastic gear, the stubs), the window clip adhesive are the common ones. I've worn out the channels too (wore the fuzzies off)...which causes problems too, as you can imagine. I wore out a regulator too....that was fun replacing. With the other items making it harder to get the windows up and down, you definitely want whatever works for a long time....do you know the condition of your window channels? Or whether there is any struggle to rolling your windows up or down? If there is, I'd say RTV may be the way to go, if you're like me and don't start tearing into something immediately after a nuisance problems shows up.
    Totally feel your pain

Regarding the channels, i don't think I've seen a bird that has the felt material intact in the channel pieces in the door (black) or the one extra tensioner thing in the middle of the window (usually white/yellowish held in by one single 11mm nut). Just purchased a 35th 5speed with 54k~ miles and even that's partly gone. I've been meaning to attempt a repair I saw in a ferrari forum where you strip all the felt material from the surface and re-glue the material. Ferrari guys seem to be happy with the result, but I'm not sure if the fix will stand up to our heavy window and constant window use.
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!