gasket job

jbud89SC

can anyone give me an approximate ET on a valve cover gasket job for my 89 i know its hard to tell cuz things can go wrong but im just looking for an approximation and also while i have it stripped down that far should i just keep going and do the headgaskets at the same time or just wait till they go? also any advice on the bbbbest quality gaskets to use cuz i really want to avoid repetitive tear downs as much as possible? thanks for any input on the matter

I wouldn't wait until the head gaskets go, because its just not the head gaskets that are affected by this. Radiator fluid in your oil and all over your bearings is not good as well. I would buy this kit (hs9642PT) from autozone and do it all before the time comes.

Jerry

Last edited:
first off, what condition is your 89 in ?

in order to do the valve covers u need to remove pretty uch the entire intake system and at least the top intercooler pipe (possibly the lower also).

removing the heads requires both accessory brackets to come off, the superhcarger along with intake and return plenums, fuel rail, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, etc etc.

a valve job, for me, would prolly be about 4-5 hours. start to finish.

pullings the heads is gonna take, at least, 3-4 hrs. and this all depends on how good your mechanic skills are.

thanks for the info i was planning on doin it all at once i just wanted some opinions

as for the condition of the car it runs great minus the oil leak from the valve covers and the fact that mt vapor canister purge solenoid is broken and mia the car was wrecked by my cousin i acquired it and ive just been picking away at it the car sat for awhile so im guessing thats why its leaking so bad ive got a minor oil leak at the rear main seal aswell so i also need to replace it ive never had the privelage of dring the car but know both previous owners and know it was well maintained up until the crash. i had the frame straiteghned at my school as it was a just a tiny bit off i put all new shocks and struts soon to do all the balljoints and bushings tie rods and what not the drivers seat bolster has that ugly tear in it so id like to do something about that aswell the car has 90,163 miles cant wait to get behind the wheel

Just another suggestion - most of the 89-91 SC's I have owned all have leaky valve covers for the bolts are simply loose. Might be able to tighten em down and save yourself a weekend of wrenching...pretty sure you can get to most of the bolts with the a deep well and some swivels.

Doing the valve covers takes as mentioned about 4-5 hours...if you have the tools and mechanic skills maybe quicker. EGR vs a non EGR SC changes the time involvement also for getting that EGR off the plenum is a real ball breaker if you have big hands.

If you plan to tackle it I'm sure I could tell you step by step the how to.

-Tim

Head gaskets can be done in a day easily if you know what you are doing. Plan on a weekend if you doddle or stop to stare at things like I do. Valve cover gaskets, a few hours.

Back