Return Plenum and intake manifold

lineboy55

I don't see many upgrades for the intake manifold or return plenum. Is it worth looking into upgrading these parts or are they just not that big of a problem and their size is ok. I am not looking to make a 10 second car, lol... But, what do you guys do about this if anything at all?

I don't see many upgrades for the intake manifold or return plenum. Is it worth looking into upgrading these parts or are they just not that big of a problem and their size is ok. I am not looking to make a 10 second car, lol... But, what do you guys do about this if anything at all?

Theres are threads on the subject. The jest of them is it is good enough for 90% of the SCs out there. There is one guy porting the intake and getting better flow numbers and the plenum can be ported as well. Some of us do have bigger plenums and have worked to improve flow but there is not a lot of improvement to be had there according to the experts. Spend the money else wheres

Ken

I showed a stock intake manifold to the guy at Elan' Motorsports who is doing my heads and he just shook his head. Not much can be done with it beyond port matching. He gave me a roll of 080 grit emery cloth tape and said smooth out all of the casting roughness I could reach and the edges around the ports was about all that could be done. If I had the money I'd send a stock manifold to Hogan's and have them design and build me one.

email Dave Dalke, he does extensive porting of the intake manifold.
mdkracing@windstream.net
There are enlarged plenums out there. Basically cut in half add an inch to the sides and weld back up. The lower is cut and welded to match. Adding a diffuser definately helps distribute air flow more evenly to the cylinders.
Talk with Dave Dalke at SuperCoupes Unlimited he will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Back