2009 Shootout Rules

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
In order to make better use of the track rental, get more cars racing in certain classes and tighten up the competition, the Shootout Committee has decided to try a new rules format for 2009. The main difference is that the new rules will allow v6 cars to race against v8 cars in every class.

2009 Shootout Rules Final Draft

Common rules for all classes unless otherwise stated:

1) All cars in all classes subject to NHRA/IHRA rules as administered by the host track.

2) Minimum driver age 18 unless accompanied by a signed affidavit from parents or legal guardian. With aforementioned permission, 16yr old licensed drivers may participate.

3) Permitted fuels include any grade of pump gas, racing gasoline, and/or E85 ethanol blend unless otherwise specified.

4) Competition open to all MN12/FN10 chassis cars only unless otherwise stated. Full tube chassis cars or cars without a VIN are welcome to participate but will be restricted to exhibition runs only.

5) Engine must be based on a Ford motor, any and all modifications are allowed. Any form of forced induction and nitrous allowed.

Racing Classes:

1) Stock: 14.500 and slower

2) Super Stock: 13.900-14.499

3) Mod 1: 13.300-13.899.

4) Mod 2: 12.700-13.299.

5) Mod 3: 12.100-12.699.

6) Pro Street: 11.500-12.099

7) Outlaw: 11.499 and quicker

8) Bracket ET: any ET allowed.

Dyno Competition: (3 classes, V6, V8, and overall winner):

Engine:
Any and all power adders allowed.

Tuning:
Minor adjustments allowed only.

Number of attempts:
Max allowed 3 pulls, any more than two pulls or any tuning done on the dyno will invoke extra charge for dyno time.

Additional Details:
All dyno pulls must be done the day of the event and on Precision's Dyno Jet to be considered valid and are subject to verification by the SC Shootout.

* Note: All rules subject to change and/or correction without notice and at the discretion of the SC Shootout Committee. Individual exceptions to these rules will be considered on a case to case basis and may be awarded at the discretion of the SC Shootout Committee. Violation of these rules will forfeit any and all winnings and may result in disqualification without reimbursement. If, after payment of registration fees, these rules are altered so as to materially affect the competitiveness of any entry, the affected competitors(s) will be entitled to a maximum of a refund of the of their registration fees paid to the SC Shootout.

I don't totally agree with letting the V8 cars into the SC classes like before, but I guess in order to get more attendees and racing it makes logical sense. So has the SC/XR7 shootout been renamed then to something like the MN12 Shootout?

I don't totally agree with letting the V8 cars into the SC classes like before, but I guess in order to get more attendees and racing it makes logical sense. So has the SC/XR7 shootout been renamed then to something like the MN12 Shootout?

Ryan, let me ask this, since we already have the classes set up with indexes, what difference does it really make? We've already invited the V8 guys to participate in the past, and if we give them their own classes that means that for a V8 class with 3 entries we would have to give them awards and trophies. Does it not make sense to combine the classes and give SC's an equal chance to win any and all classes?

There are many V6-V8 rivalries already in existence (I think Micah would love to have the chance to put the smack down on Rod) so why not let them play out at the Shootout? I think the combination of the classes will be a big adrenalin boost for the event and will help to consolidate our shrinking MN12 group. I also think it helps to diffuse any "hey he's got a turbo, that's not really an SC" protests as time goes on.

The SC Shootout is not going to change it's name. We started it, we host it, it's our event. :)

I guess I was just going on the tradition that you guys have kept all these years. It was nice racing SC's only, but the competition in some classes was really starting to get spread thin and a wide range of ET's. It does make sense to let the V8 guys in, and yes it will add to the event if the SC's can lay the smack down on the V8 guys in the class. This should add alot of rivalry and a bunch more smack talking for the Shootout.

I agree that this is probably the direction we should be taking, I just think it's a shame that we will be losing the distinction between the classes. Used to be a stock SC is just that; stock. Now, if I understand this correctly, a stock SC is one that runs a certain ET.

I always enjoyed it when a stock SC would outrun a SS, or a SS would beat up on the Mod 1 or 2 cars.

Ira

I agree that this is probably the direction we should be taking, I just think it's a shame that we will be losing the distinction between the classes. Used to be a stock SC is just that; stock. Now, if I understand this correctly, a stock SC is one that runs a certain ET.

I always enjoyed it when a stock SC would outrun a SS, or a SS would beat up on the Mod 1 or 2 cars.

Ira

It may be fun for you to watch, but it's not that much fun for the competitors. Last year in Stock Mark Belush was running 14.1-14.3 against Matt Leskew running 15.8-16.2. It was fun watching Doug and Bruce duke it out in SS, but seeing as they were the only two in that class, and guys like Cory Binks and Ryan Zimmerly wimped out and went to Mod 1 instead of running in SS where they would have gotten beat by Doug and Bruce, it is clear that those classes were not generating the competition that they should have.

Face it, SC people (as a whole) are never going to build their cars for a particular class. Instead I think they come to the Shootout looking for the chance to run heads up against cars that are similar to theirs in performance and have the opportunity to "tree" the guy next to them for the win. When less then .5 sec separates a class, this is possible. When you have 1.5 seconds spread in the class it just isn't a lot of fun for most people.

If more SC people were engine builders then a rigid rule governed class would be fun, but that just isn't the case here. I'm excited about the new rule structure. I don't think it loses anything to our past programs and it gains a whole lot over most of them.

Last edited:
It may be fun for you to watch, but it's not that much fun for the competitors. Last year in Stock Mark Belush was running 14.1-14.3 against Matt Leskew running 15.8-16.2. It was fun watching Doug and Bruce duke it out in SS, but seeing as they were the only two in that class, and guys like Cory Binks and Ryan Zimmerly wimped out and went to Mod 1 instead of running in SS where they would have gotten beat by Doug and Bruce, it is clear that those classes were not generating the competition that they should have.

Face it, SC people (as a whole) are never going to build their cars for a particular class. Instead I think they come to the Shootout looking for the chance to run heads up against cars that are similar to theirs in performance and have the opportunity to "tree" the guy next to them for the win. When less then .5 sec separates a class, this is possible. When you have 1.5 seconds spread in the class it just isn't a lot of fun for most people.

Oh, I do understand. As I said I do agree that it is probably better for the SC folks and maybe the MN-12 community as a whole to do this. It certainly should make for more competitive racing and that alone should make the event fun for more people. That by itself is a good thing.

I still think it's a shame though. That's just me. [shrug]

Ira

No name change, and Dyno competitions also sound kinda lame. Three categories? No M90 AR Turbo distinctions? Then what would be the point for a M90 to compete. They know they will get their ~~~ handed by the AR guys and the AR guys will get their ~~~ handed by a forced inducted V8.

Still sounds like a fun time. Good luck.

5) Engine must be based on a Ford motor, any and all modifications are allowed. Any form of forced induction and nitrous allowed.

We need some clarification on this, what if it is an after-market company that is building a block to original company specs? I also think the fact that it has to be a Ford motor is a little horse ~~~~. If you guys are going to bastardize these cars and pull the original motors out and get rid of the stock 3.8 ~~~~, it should be fair game as long as the car started life as an SC, whether it is a tube car or customized with a lift kit and boggers.

We need some clarification on this, what if it is an after-market company that is building a block to original company specs? I also think the fact that it has to be a Ford motor is a little horse ~~~~. If you guys are going to bastardize these cars and pull the original motors out and get rid of the stock 3.8 ~~~~, it should be fair game as long as the car started life as an SC, whether it is a tube car or customized with a lift kit and boggers.

Aftermarket block or heads is fine, Nascar 4.5 SVO, 5.4 GT500 or a 460 big block....it doesn't matter so long as it's Ford based.

David

I think the name should be changed. still just sounds like it is for V6 cars. I think more would come if it sounded like it was for all MN12's. get more V8 cars and we can go back to seperate classes. I would love to see more guys there like Rick Rodgers with his 9,000 RPM small block running 9.7.

I honestly think without a name change then it will never grow.

wimps!, comeon now Dave haha. Im glad I did switch, that class had some competition, and some nervous moments. It made it a lot of fun. I think these new rules will make every class like that. Plus, a few v8 cars mixed in will up the challenge. Also, the majority of cars there are sc's so I see no reason to change the name. +1 for the new setup

Corey

Aftermarket block or heads is fine, Nascar 4.5 SVO, 5.4 GT500 or a 460 big block....it doesn't matter so long as it's Ford based.

David

David that sounds like a great idea, it would be best to keep the SC guys away from chevy engines.....it might be a huge shock having an engine that actually makes power....it might pose a safety hazard for drivers.....always play it safe :p

Oh, I can see this is gonna be fun!!!
As the aforementioned 15.8-16.2 car, it really wasnt a lot of fun, but it wasnt the car, it was the driver. After a full year under my belt with the five-speed, and a few minor upgrades, I might even get into the 14's.
A name change isnt necessary. Many events have changed formats, rules, even focus, but still maintained the name because it was IMPORTANT to do so, for the originators especially.
I have been saying we should let the V8's run with the S/C's since I started going with my LX. I was faster than a few of the S/C's in the LX.
If the change is going to affect you that much, then maybe you need to change your focus, rather than changing the event.
Dyno is Dyno. Get on with it and lets make this the biggest and best show yet. If the V8's dont pony up, then I am sure the commitee will contemplate a reversal for next year.

Matt

As I can speak for the V8 guys, Chris, Rod, and myself only fit into the 12.0 index and slower. There wasnt much of a ladder there, if we are running similar V6 cars, I think it will make for better competition.

Either way, Team Chris will be there.

Chris

and guys like Cory Binks and Ryan Zimmerly wimped out and went to Mod 1 instead of running in SS where they would have gotten beat by Doug and Bruce, it is clear that those classes were not generating the competition that they should have.

Wimp out... I didn't realize you could run SS with an MPx. According to what I read that knocked me out of SS and forced to run Mod 1. AND if you want to talk about wimping out on class selection. Look at the 4, over 300+ RWHP cars that ran Mod 1 and all got beat not on a breakout.

Last edited:
David that sounds like a great idea, it would be best to keep the SC guys away from chevy engines.....it might be a huge shock having an engine that actually makes power....it might pose a safety hazard for drivers.....always play it safe :p

Curtis,

Please bring your chevy powered SC and make a few exhibition passes. No need to be insulting.

David

Back