2009 Shootout Rules

I didn't get to go last year and I was really upset about it. From what I have read bringing in some V8 guy's would be a good thing. Competition is competition and the deeper, the better. Who would want to boast about winning a competition with 2 guy's in that class? I quess over beers you can tell the chicks you lost in the finals! Stick a field of 32 together and try to win that! And if you lose in the second or third round so be, it is just fun to compete and be there.

That being said I don't think my SC will be built by then so I will have to bring a slow Mark Viii:eek: and have some fun! I just can't wait to get there!

Stephen

Forgive my ignorance, but are the classes heads-up racing within the individual indexes (with the exception of the Bracket ET class), or are they all bracket racing?

It's heads up. Basically, you want to run the index for your class. For instance, say you're in the Mod 3 class. You'll want to run as close to a 12.100 as possible without going faster on each pass. This is a pretty common way to break a field down into classes, and it works very well, as it brings about some very close competition.

Ira, how many times have you been able to replicate or come close to your fastest run. Once, twice? With an Auto, it becomes an easier thing to do. ;)

Ill be gettin on this horse a little more this time around. :D

The car has not been out since that day, so no, I have not had a chance to back that run up yet. I realize I have to and look forward to trying.

As far as being consistent with a 5 speed you know how hard that can be. It takes lots of practice and quite frankly sometimes you just need to have a good day. At the Shoot Out last year it was one of those pretty good days; 4 of my 6 runs were within .03 of each other.

And I certainly expect to see you whipping those horses this year. As far as I'm concerned you've made enough changes to have the car to watch this year!

Ira

It's heads up. Basically, you want to run the index for your class. For instance, say you're in the Mod 3 class. You'll want to run as close to a 12.100 as possible without going faster on each pass. This is a pretty common way to break a field down into classes, and it works very well, as it brings about some very close competition.

What would suck is ending up in Mod 3 with a consistant 12.66 and being the slowest car in the class and eliminated quickly (worst case scenario here). That's why I was wondering if someone can enter both a heads-up and the Bracket ET class. You get ousted early in the heads-up, you can still have a chance in the bracket races. You also get to race more than just those guys closest to ya ET wise. Win-Win in my mind.

What would suck is ending up in Mod 3 with a consistant 12.66 and being the slowest car in the class and eliminated quickly (worst case scenario here). That's why I was wondering if someone can enter both a heads-up and the Bracket ET class. You get ousted early in the heads-up, you can still have a chance in the bracket races. You also get to race more than just those guys closest to ya ET wise. Win-Win in my mind.

Paul,

In the past we allowed people to race in both the index class and bracket ET, and it was a nightmare trying to get cars staged for the elimination rounds.

David

Paul,

In the past we allowed people to race in both the index class and bracket ET, and it was a nightmare trying to get cars staged for the elimination rounds.

David

So essentially there is no incentive to run Brackets unless you are running in the slower half of your class during the day and don't feel confident enough that someone will make a mistake, you can tree them, or just hang with the cars in the top half. Couldn't that cut down the number of cars in each class and isn't that what this was trying to avoid in the first place??

Or are we hoping for enough cars that it really won't matter if a couple drop out of each class??

Ira

What would suck is ending up in Mod 3 with a consistant 12.66 and being the slowest car in the class and eliminated quickly (worst case scenario here).

It's all about knowing the car and how to adjust the setup. If you have a 12.6 car, make an adjustment to get it backed down to 12.7's and run Mod 2. I'd much rather be at the bottom of an index than right in the middle. ;)

So essentially there is no incentive to run Brackets unless you are running in the slower half of your class during the day and don't feel confident enough that someone will make a mistake, you can tree them, or just hang with the cars in the top half. Couldn't that cut down the number of cars in each class and isn't that what this was trying to avoid in the first place??

Or are we hoping for enough cars that it really won't matter if a couple drop out of each class??

Ira

That's it. We are canceling all rules. The SC Shootout will be test-n-tune only and everyone will get a trophy just for having the balls to show up.

That's it. We are canceling all rules. The SC Shootout will be test-n-tune only and everyone will get a trophy just for having the balls to show up.

Oh come on. You know damn well that isn't what I meant. In the past people had the option of running in any class they wanted and then entering the brackets afterwards. If this is too much trouble to administer over the course of the day, and I can easily see how it would be, then just say so and be done with it. All I did was make an observation. In fact I think that the indexes as posted are close enough that the example I cited shouldn't happen and I really don't see the point of running brackets in the first place.

I'm sorry if my choice of words offends the committees sensibilities.

I don't have a problem with any of this and you know I don't slow down to better my chance of winning. In fact I should think that after last year it should be pretty obvious that I don't come to this just to win a trophy.

Ira

No matter where and how I place at the end of the day, I will be happy to trash talk anyone in the hotel parking lot on Friday, Saturday and maybe even Sunday night.

I will be the one in the mullet.

Chris

Oh come on. You know damn well that isn't what I meant.

I don't know damn well what you mean. What I see are people complaining about the best damn set of rules we've come out with yet.

In the past people had the option of running in any class they wanted and then entering the brackets afterwards.

That only happened once.

We allowed people to compete in 2 classes in Norwalk, 2005. That year was horribly disorganized, a lot of people complained, and we never did it that way again.

The first year at KilKare we allowed first round losers of the heads up classes to line up in Brackets provided they got back in line before the first round of eliminations. People complained about that as well. Not really fair to allow first round losers to line up and have a 2nd chance to win. One entry fee - two entries. It may be a win-win for you but it reduces the chances of those who signed up only for bracket racing to actually win. It's not really fair to make them work 2x as hard for the same trophy.

Subsequent years at KilKare if you ran in two classes you did so without the grace and permission of the SC Shootout. Obviously we can't stop you from doing whatever you want, but it was never part of the official program and I don't believe I was aware of anyone actually doing that.

To be fair to all participants, each car will compete in one class. You will be free to chose which class that will be. It should also be noted that sandbaggers will not be allowed in the heads up classes. The SC Shootout reserves the right to place you in a class that your car is known to be capable of. This doesn't mean that guys like Kurt and Smitty will be forced to run in a class their car isn't competitive in, but if anyone if caught hitting the brakes or lifting throttle, they will be disqualified.

Last edited:
It should also be noted that sandbaggers will not be allowed...but if anyone if caught hitting the brakes or lifting throttle, they will be disqualified.

Happy to hear that. Though just to be perfectly clear, you just mean that for the indexed classes, not the bracket class, correct? Lifting is common practice in bracket racing.

Just gotta make the prize money more in the heads up classes to make people want to stay there.:)

Just gotta make the prize money more in the heads up classes to make people want to stay there.:)

Since you brought it up, that's another thing we are changing this year. The cash prizes that were given in addition to trophys will very likely be eliminated and that money (assuming we have any) will be used to do something that benifits all the participants.

David

Last edited:
Back