Brake caliper conversion question

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I now have the 94 front suspension hubs and spindles and 11" KVR crossdrilled rotors on my '90 and I want to change out the calipers for the dual piston Mustang calipers. I looked at an 03 Mustang with 13" rotors yesterday with the "Cobra" dual piston calipers and they didn't look like they would match up so I am assuming that they are not the correct ones to use. There is another style I've seen on Ebay that are the PBR calipers for 11" rotors. Would I use those calipers with the 94 bracket and they bolt to it or do I use the bracket that would come with those calipers and it would bolt up to my 94 front hub just like the OEM bracket? This is probably discussed somewhere in another thread but I'm a bit confused about this and not sure if I understand it correctly even if I found the other thread.

Mike, there are 2 styles of the Mustang dual-piston calipers and brackets, the ones that came on 99-04 V6 and GT cars with the 10.8" rotors, and the ones that came on the Cobras, Mach Is, and Bullitts with the 13" rotors.

Either setup will bolt on to the 93-up MN12 spindles. You just need to use all of the correct pieces together ... calipers, brackets, and rotors for 13", or everything for 10.8". If you want to use stock wheels and bolt pattern, the V6/GT calipers and brackets will go over MN12 rotors, which are the same as SN95 Mustang other than the wheel bolt pattern.

cheers
Ed N.

As always, Ed is right on. Specifically, you can use stock T-Bird rotors with the 99-04 V6/GT calipers and brackets. If you use the Cobra calipers and brackets you'll need to use 13-inch rotors and redrill them to 5x4.25 or swap your hubs and wheels to 5x4.5 pattern. Naturally redrilling the rotors is cheaper. No matter which calilper you use, though, you'll have to grind either on the caliper, the stock Thunderbird brake line block where it bolts to the caliper, or upgrade to braided stainless hoses. I upgraded to stainless hoses, but once when one burst I ground on the Thunderbird brake hose block as an emergency measure. I never had a problem with that method, though of course you need to be careful how much material you remove.

Oh and I have a spare set of Mustang GT calipers and brackets if you want them. One is already modified to work with a Thunderbird brake hose. Why I don't have two like that is a long story.

On the subject, I just completed the MKVIII brake upgrade on my black car. It has the single piston caliper and 11.5" rotors. Does anyone know if there is a dual piston caliper that will work in that setup?

Or maybe a better question is "Is there a Ford dual piston caliper for 11.5" brakes?"

While I'm at it, does anyone know if the "hawk", or any decent brand that will hold up to track work, pads are available for the MK8?

So, I need to use the Mustang bracket instead of the 94 bracket. Which I guess, means I'll need to use the Mustang pads instead of the TBird pads, right?

Oh and I have a spare set of Mustang GT calipers and brackets if you want them. One is already modified to work with a Thunderbird brake hose. Why I don't have two like that is a long story.

I'd rather buy them from you rather than somebody else on Ebay. I'll PM you and we can work out the details.
As usual guys, thanks for the info.

So, I need to use the Mustang bracket instead of the 94 bracket. Which I guess, means I'll need to use the Mustang pads instead of the TBird pads, right?

That's correct, use the pads to go with the calipers and brackets that you're bolting on. Only T-Bird part would be the spindle, and also the hub if you're staying with 4.25" pattern.

cheers
Ed N.

As always, Ed is right on. Specifically, you can use stock T-Bird rotors with the 99-04 V6/GT calipers and brackets. If you use the Cobra calipers and brackets you'll need to use 13-inch rotors and redrill them to 5x4.25 or swap your hubs and wheels to 5x4.5 pattern. Naturally redrilling the rotors is cheaper. No matter which calilper you use, though, you'll have to grind either on the caliper, the stock Thunderbird brake line block where it bolts to the caliper, or upgrade to braided stainless hoses. I upgraded to stainless hoses, but once when one burst I ground on the Thunderbird brake hose block as an emergency measure. I never had a problem with that method, though of course you need to be careful how much material you remove.

Just wanted to see if I am understanding correctly... Is it possible to use the stock SC 16" wheels by converting to the 93+ spindles using 03 Cobra dual piston calipers and 13" rotor and redrilling to the 4 x 4.25 pattern, grind down the caliper and use stainless steel brake lines? All that will be able to work with the stock SC 16" rims?

Thanks in advance.

Back