seatbelt & light issue

Onerious

Hi, I am new to the SCCoA Forums, can thank my uncle and dad for getting me here tho.

I have a '91 Thunderbird Super Coup sitting in my driveway with a couple issues. The drivers side automatic seat belt doesn't work, its locked in the, uhh, would it be called "closed" position? I would like to get it working again so when the door opens, it slides open.

Also my alarm light keeps blinking and my dad and I think thats killing my battery, Is that in any way related to the seatbelt not working?
And my automatic ride controll is stuck on firm (I think), would that just be a wire issue or is there more to it?

Thanks for the help guys!

When I first got my tbird it blinked the alarm button too whenever I locked the door. It only blinks for a few minutes I personally didnt know if there was somthing wrong so I just removed the light bulb from the cluster:D After some thinking though I came to the conclusion that the reason it blinks is to "scare" people away from breaking in to your car. Thats my 2 cents

The alarm light is an led, it can blink for 50 years before your batt will die. the seat belt might be due to a switch in the door that controls the belt signal, it might also be a bad belt track motor. the track motor is located under the trim for your back side window. try doing a manual over ride on it to make sure it works(you will have to remove the rear seat for this), if it runs then i'd say the switch in your door is bad. ive had to change that out already. went to the junk yard and got 1 for 50cents(you can get 1 out of any 89-95 t-bird) and its still working fine after 2 years. as for the shocks, keep in mind most used t-birds are probably going to have bad shocks. a good way to test this is, open your center console and you'll see 3 screws at the leading edge, take those out and lift the center trim piece up, disconnect the plug going into the switch on the right side(passenger side). then take it for a drive. if nothing changes then your shocks are shot. i went with drag shocks for rear and 92 t-bird sport struts for the front. it rides like a tank but handles great. hope this helps ya and welcome to 1 of the best cars ever but always needs alot of love :)

Regarding shock problem, try these steps first:

1) Confirm all shock acuator connectors are secure and not corroded.
2) Remove actuators and cycle console switch. Actuators should rotate.
3) With actuators removed, confirm needle in shock stem is free. It should rotate freely with needle-nose pliers. WARNING: Do not rotate needle more than 1/2 turn in either direction. Remember the original orientation.
4) If needle(s) are frozen, soak with WD-40 or PB Blaster. DO NOT force needle! It may take several applications of penatrant to free them up.

This may get you going before spending big bucks on new shocks.

Cheers,

JD

Back