Shorter Condenser

More questions Ricardo:

For the aftermarket IC, is the owner of the vehicle ready to compromise comfort for performance?

Problem #1:
Theoretically, 33% of the condenser's efficiency will be lost with this configuration. A third row may solve this problem.

Problem# 2
Mounting....

If you look at the AIR CON A/C condensers Its missing about 33% of it already. George D bought a 3 core version and that worked very well for his car and as others have. If the company does not see a 2 row 1/4 suitable like they originally stated then 3 row versions would have to be the upgrade.
But i think that the 2 row should prove to be enough for some.

My car overheats with the stock condenser and the A/C on, as so many MP FMIC owners. So to me a car that doesnt overheat is more important then an AC system that operates at 67% percent.

As for brackets those can be made by us, by bendin a piece of metal and a couple of screws. But Ideally if they take a stocker and remove 1/3 of the fins and tubes on the bottom of it would be even better. that way the two lateral supports that the tubes mount to would reach to the bottom of the frame of the car and lift the whole assymbly to the correct position.

If you look at the AIR CON A/C condensers Its missing about 33% of it already. George D bought a 3 core version and that worked very well for his car and as others have. If the company does not see a 2 row 1/4 suitable like they originally stated then 3 row versions would have to be the upgrade.
But i think that the 2 row should prove to be enough for some.

My car overheats with the stock condenser and the A/C on, as so many MP FMIC owners. So to me a car that doesnt overheat is more important then an AC system that operates at 67% percent.

As for brackets those can be made by us, by bendin a piece of metal and a couple of screws. But Ideally if they take a stocker and remove 1/3 of the fins and tubes on the bottom of it would be even better. that way the two lateral supports that the tubes mount to would reach to the bottom of the frame of the car and lift the whole assymbly to the correct position.

I'm not looking to buy something where I have to do any fabrication to make fit. It should bolt right in where the old one was. Duane, your original diagram describing what Ricardo was looking for was right on the money for the FMIC. Now maybe I missed something here but where are we with this? I honestly am not following what Ricardo is saying anymore and I don't want us over-engineering something into oblivion. (no offense Rico - I really have lost track of what's what here!)

Ira

Sorry Ira. I might be over complicating things here. I could talk to Duane over PM, if I am blasting things in this thread.

Here is what Duane has been able to get from American Condensers Incorporated.

A narower version of the factory units. Ir removes about a third of the right side of the condenser, if you are facing the front of the car, to allow a factory intercooler fresh air. Remember the factory intercooler is on the right side of the car. Part number for this in a two row 1/4" is #P40503 They can make it all you have to do is call them or go thru Duane.

con010.jpg

What i want is this Ira.

Condenser.jpg

You will bennefit from this design alot more IMO.

It think where your confusion is in the first post where the comany gives an example of a 15" core and how many tubes can fit on it. This is not what you will get its merely an example to illustrate and compare different tubes.

Last edited:
A 2-row can be ordered now.

A 3-row can be ordered using a 15 X 17 core.

A condenser for the MP can be made.

I would suggest calling Art if you want a 3-row or MP style. He does want to verify the dimensions of the 15 X 17 core for the shorter version but I think if he goes off of the drawing for the AirCon unit, we should be fine.

Any questions, Art is more than willing to speak with you. All the information is in the first post.

A 2-row can be ordered now.

A 3-row can be ordered using a 15 X 17 core.

A condenser for the MP can be made.

I would suggest calling Art if you want a 3-row or MP style. He does want to verify the dimensions of the 15 X 17 core for the shorter version but I think if he goes off of the drawing for the AirCon unit, we should be fine.

Any questions, Art is more than willing to speak with you. All the information is in the first post.

Thank you Duane for all your help. I contacted him ill post my results of our conversation soon. He has a mock up of what I want already.

Anyone have an alternate contact number. It sounds like the 800 number is blocked for international calls.

Thanks Duane for your work on this :).

Fraser

Proposed MP design.

P35542-IC.jpg

Duane this one I think is per your request it is the three row version, He gave that mock up part # P40503-3R

P40503-3R.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Duane for all your help. I contacted him ill post my results of our conversation soon. He has a mock up of what I want already.

No problem guys but I'm sure I wasn't the best person to be explaining all of this stuff to him. It doesn't matter anyway, as long as we get something built for the club, that's all that matters.

It sounds like Ricardo has us squared away on the units. Thanks Ricardo. It's for the club, so WooHoo!

I think both designs are great. One thing that was an issue with the Bronco condensers I have been using is that the inlet/outlet fittings stuck out too far from the core making connections a real pain. Other than that they fit ok. Now as for mounting these, small pieces of strap will screw into the frames and into the rad support. Very simple operation, if you can't do that you shouldn't be messing with your car.

American Condensers is already showing a 'P35542'...

Thats what he told me, I think he is using the template from the existing factory replacement. I did not put the two numbers together. Which is essentially what I want minus the missing fins and tubes.

Ill email him that this is ok and ill place my order to create another number so you guys can follow.

Anyone thought of putting together a group buy for startup to see if we can get lower prices :D.

Fraser

Anyone thought of putting together a group buy for startup to see if we can get lower prices :D.

Fraser

Already asked. No group buys but....I'll have to check with Art and confirm before I can post what was discussed between us.

Already asked. No group buys but....I'll have to check with Art and confirm before I can post what was discussed between us.

Cool, and if its to be $110 I'm happy with that. Considering I've been trying to price a bronco II condensor and the cheapest I can find up here is $174 plus shipping.

Fraser

It will be P35542-IC for the MP guys. I ordered mine. We had some discussions about the 2 row vs 3 row and he conviced me to do a 3 row.
I dont think he is interested in doing 2 cores for $110 anyomore. The P35542-IC will be a three row. It will be $180 plus shipping.

Takes about 5 days to make.

Duane I think the same goes for your design and the part number is, P40503-3R for the three row. He will still do the 2 row though.

Your causing confusion here.. you first say he's not interested in the 2 core but at the end he's still going to make it? Which is it?

With your pushing your design he may think that all SC's will go with that design, and us folks with stock IC's and DIC's are left with nothing. The 2 core is perfect for alot of SC's out there.

Fraser

Back