Instrument Cluster Question

007_SuperCoupe

Simple question for those who have experience with the instrument clusters...

Does the EEC need anything from the cluster in order to work?

I'm looking at replacing the cluster with autometer gauges, but I need to know if I need to keep anything that is there already. I've heard rumor that it needs something, but the only thing I can think of is the warning lights?

Thanks for the info.

Sam

I would try to get in touch with Mike Tuck. He has a Cougar with custom gauge cluster.

Attachments

• XR7 Cluster.JPG
    XR7 Cluster.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 137
Simple question for those who have experience with the instrument clusters...

Does the EEC need anything from the cluster in order to work?

I'm looking at replacing the cluster with autometer gauges, but I need to know if I need to keep anything that is there already. I've heard rumor that it needs something, but the only thing I can think of is the warning lights?

Thanks for the info.

Sam

Sam,

I didn't replace all the gauges, but added Autometers - see attached photo. Didn't have any problems, except the Autometer lines had to be extended because I ran them through the hole by the parking brake, under the wheel well splash panel and then up into the engine compartment.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 123
Sam,

I didn't replace all the gauges, but added Autometers - see attached photo. Didn't have any problems, except the Autometer lines had to be extended because I ran them through the hole by the parking brake, under the wheel well splash panel and then up into the engine compartment.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Thanks, Eddie, but I'm looking to do more along the lines of what Mike did to his. I'm planning on replacing all my stock gauges with autometer gauges. I'm trying to keep it stock in appearance, but need to know if I need to keep portions of the cluster because it is needed by the eec.

Bottom line is that I want more accurate gauges than the stock ones. But I also want them to match. So, if I change one, I change them all.

I've got a spare cluster that I've dis-assembled for measurements and all. I believe that it would be relatively easy to retain portions of the cluster if required. But I only want to do that if required. I see that there may be problems leaving the warning lights functional, but I could easily keep them "wired" up, if I need to.

I know someone has to have the answer to this question. It should be a simple answer...yes, if so, what needs to be kept, or no, nothing needs to be kept.

Anyone???

Your member page says you are working with a '92 SC.

The system can get by without the analog gauges...can it get by without the warning light circuits (not just the bulbs*)?

Pull the entire cluster (not just the bulbs) and run the car to see...

[Battery] [Alarm] [Antilock] [High beams] [Parking brake] -- [ARC] [Seat belt] [CEL] [Door ajar] [Overdrive]

[L] Turn signals [R]
And of course the circuits that power cluster lighting in general are tied back to the headlight switch rotary dimmer etc.

I don't see anything that will upset the EEC - the warning light circuits appear to be downstream and independent.

Not all cars utilize all bulbs of course. And it isn't just a matter of adding/subtracting lights at the end of various circuits...the *printed circuits in the cluster itself, as you know, are responsible for connecting the large connectors at the back to the bulbs in the front. The question is if anything on that board communicates in a loop with the EEC, and again, I don't see that as a primary issue.

Besides the warning lights, the fuel gauge relies on a small circuit board that mounts in the cluster for 'slosh' control. Not sure how you would accommodate this otherwise.

My advice is to retain the cluster and delete the instruments unless you find it reasonable to deal with missing circuit boards in some manner.

This image shows the EEC wiring for your car - see anything looped specifically back to the cluster? I don't...
attachment.php

I've ran my 89 and 93 without the cluster installed (for about 5 miles each)with no problems. I'll agree with KMT on no inputs to EEC from cluster are there - based on the schematic he supplied and experiences driving without. I would check out the instrument cluser wiring diagram to make sure, if you have any question. That would be the diagram to look at.

If you do take the cluster out to test these statements, just make sure to plug the boost gauge vacuum/pressure line.

Thanks. I'm not planning on pulling the cluster yet. i've got a spare to play with, so that's my starting point.

Sounds like I should be good to go then. Basically the fuel gauge is the one that needs the little micro-processor card on the back of the cluster. But I'm planning on replacing that with a set-up from Autometer. I was already thinking about using the Autometer sending unit in the tank to replace the stock one. Not sure how it will all work out at this point, but at least I know that there won't be any huge issues.

Thanks again.

Sam

Back