Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: New SCU 4.3 engine pics

Round two of road testing was completed this morning. I hooked up the scanner correctly this time and didn't have any of the weird stuff going on that happened last time. So far so good. For the first time in years, I don't have any leaks under the car

I expect to have my spare chip back from Dave with several revised tunes to try next week.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Round two of road testing was completed this morning. I hooked up the scanner correctly this time and didn't have any of the weird stuff going on that happened last time. So far so good. For the first time in years, I don't have any leaks under the car

I expect to have my spare chip back from Dave with several revised tunes to try next week.

David
    That's good news. It's getting there.

Ira

That's always good to hear.

I think you should bring it to the May meet.
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post

Where are you at with your Blower combination Casey?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    Where are you at with your Blower combination Casey?

Ken
    I've just been using it as a school wagon. The plugs only last about a week before they foul out. In need of a tune, one would say.

I have been working on a set of heads and I'm gettin ready to build a shortblock for it, too. Afftterrrr thaaaaaattt, I need to find out something for an intercooler.
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post

Casey,

It's not going to be ready to race that soon. Bringing the turbo car, mainly to redeem itself after it's poor showing at the Shootout.

David
    Last edited by David Neibert; 04-13-2009 at 07:18 PM.

My Garage

Thats good to hear David. Can't wait to see that bad boy run! Got mine back up and running too... and like Casey, still in bad need of a tune.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlet on drag duty now

My new engine is still on the stand next to the car, I'm jealous of your new toy

I'll be making test passes @ GIR by the end of the year......hope to see you there

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisPaulfrey View Post
    My new engine is still on the stand next to the car, I'm jealous of your new toy

I'll be making test passes @ GIR by the end of the year......hope to see you there
    Curtis,

If you have the new engine on the stand, why will it take until the end of the year to be making test passes ?

David

My Garage

After replacing the cam sensor this morning the car starts and runs much better. Took it for a 12 mile drive to test some tunes, and other than getting some CELs and running a little warmer than usual, everythings seems to be fine.

Decided to see how much boost it's making with the larger motor and it's making a max of 17 pounds which is pretty close to what I was hoping for. At the same drive ratio I made 20 pounds with the old motor, so the 3.00" diameter pulley I've got should put it back to about 20 pounds. Currently using a 3.25" dia pulley.

It feels strong, just not quite as strong as my old motor did, but the timing is set a lot lower and I don't have any idea what the A/F ratio is it WOT. I'm sure it's going to be fine once we get it tuned and increase the boost a little. For now I'll just be driving it around to put some miles on the motor.

David
    Last edited by David Neibert; 04-18-2009 at 08:54 PM.

My Garage

Thats great David, sounds like you just need to get her dialed in. I am sure it must be nice to have her on the road again!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Curtis,

If you have the new engine on the stand, why will it take until the end of the year to be making test passes ?

David
    I'm running the Camaro in street car that will take up most of my time, as far as the SC goes I still have to address all the suspension + install a cage. I liked the way my car hooked with the old motor but I don't feel I have enough when it comes to hitting the IRS with a brake

While messing with the car last night trying to remove air from the cooling system (wasn't any) and seeing if it started any better on another program, I found where my meth injection fluid has been going.

Somewhere along the line (probably when we installed LT headers), my washer fluid hose coming off the washer pump was disconnected from the windsheild washer nozzels. There was some plastic fitting in the end of the hose that ended just beneath the master cylinder that looked like a check valve. Looks like another hose was supposed to connect there to get fluid up the the nozzels that spray on the windsheild.

Anyhow..I had the front of the car jacked up (to help remove air pockets) and motor was running for about 15 minutes to get it up to temp and after I was all done and lowering the jack I heard a sizzeling sound and what sounded like water running. Shined the flashlight down where sound was coming from and saw washer fluid pouring onto one of the header primary tubes. I'm guessing this is the same thing that happened when I first started the new motor and not a stuck open anti-siphion solenoid as I first thought. Dumped about half a tank of fluid before it quit running out the hose.

I actually upgraded and relocated the anti-siphion solenoid last year because of fluid being lost from the washer tank. I never saw any fluid on the ground, so I guess it was drying up before I noticed it. Anyway that mystery is solved and I feel alot better knowing that the new motor didn't swallow all that fluid on the initial start up. Hose is now plugged and I'll disconnect the power wire to the washer pump.

Other than running a little hotter than normal, it seems to be running good on the tweaked mail order tune from Dave. Can't wait to see what it does with the timing put back in and boost increased to usual 20 pounds.

David
    Last edited by David Neibert; 04-28-2009 at 01:06 PM.

My Garage

Glad the Snow controller doesn't appear to have been the problem
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
    Glad the Snow controller doesn't appear to have been the problem
    Kurt,

The new controller is still acting a little flakey, but does not appear to be the reason for the loss of fluid. I restested the controller with pump set to start spraying at 2.5 volts and it activated about where it should (aprox 7 pounds), but didn't shut itself off when partially getting out of the throttle. That was strange because it was enough to show vacuum on the gauge, and the motor started missing. The indicator light didn't go off until I got completely off the gas pedal. With starting voltage set to just under 3 volts, it seems to be turning on and off okay, but the activation boost level is a little higher than I'd like (aprox 10 pounds).

David

My Garage