New SCU 4.3 engine pics

I've had both manual and auto sc's, both cars were pretty much stock.
I didn't really care for the manual at all; the transmission was very notchy, besides the way it shifted it really didn't feel right with 3800lb car.
I don't know if it had upgraded rear end gear but as far as I know it was stock, the first gear was really short and I hated that. I like to have an actually usable first gear that could take me to 45mph (on the street). Plus we are limited with replacement and upgrade parts, ulike t-5s. I know that there are a few companies that make parts for these still, but again we don't have the same market as the t-5s
I just thought that the auto was much more practical choise for the car.

All I gotta say is

, but stop and go traffic killed me and it needed a 3.08 in back instead of a 2.73.

If that clutch bothers ya..It was like non existant!

I totally agree that the fun factor with a 5 speed sc is great. But it just doesnt hold up well to a good beating with a stiff tire and a good clutch

Maybe Im spoiled but Im used to powershifting and dumping the clutch at will with no breakage (at least with teh power my SC makes) . The fact my SC will never ever have a soft sidewall tire on it however just means I need to learn how to drive differently. Softer shifts, no clutch dumping..Nature of the beast I guess

If I was drag racing an SC...No doubt in my mind it be automatic..

To each his own! I like to shift, I have stated that before. I can see how the auto would be better, faster than a 5 spd. I quess we all need just one of each!:D What made me fall in love w/ the SC was the fact that they made them w/ a 5 spd. I whis my Mark VIII had a 6 speed!:eek:

Stephen

Dave can't wait to see how she turns out. That will be a BEAST!:D

To each his own! I like to shift, I have stated that before. I can see how the auto would be better, faster than a 5 spd. I quess we all need just one of each!:D What made me fall in love w/ the SC was the fact that they made them w/ a 5 spd. I whis my Mark VIII had a 6 speed!:eek:

Stephen

Dave can't wait to see how she turns out. That will be a BEAST!:D

Stephen,

I encountered a bit of a setback last night when hooking it up to the Snap On scanner to monitor fuel trims. I must have done something wrong because I could barely get it started and it was running like crap, the tach quit working for a while, CELs were flashing and it started belching fuel smoke and burning my eyes. Thought I accidentially fried my chip.

It eventually started running well enough to be driveable. Unfortunately the data I gathered is suspect because after I unplugged the scanner, all the nonsense stopped and it ran fine :confused: Pretty sure I had one too many wires hooked up, for retreving live data with the engine running. I might actually try reading those directions now.

David

Directions:rolleyes: Who reads directions! Always a last resort and I should know better by now being 48! Still like to do thing my way!

Tried to put a gas grill together that needed partial assembly, yeah right took me better part of the day and my little ones heard a few words come out of my mouth that they never heard before!:eek:

It's close Dave, it's close!:D

David, are you using any kind of a stud girdle on your build? I'm building pretty much the same motor for my XR4 except I'll be using the 2.1L Kenne Bell. I'll actually need to hit up David Dalke for my pistons/rings/rods.

I'm really debating the Morana or Delk girdle for my build, but I'm not sure if it would be all that beneficial considering how thin it is in some places. I wish that the BTM girdle was still available :(

David, are you using any kind of a stud girdle on your build? I'm building pretty much the same motor for my XR4 except I'll be using the 2.1L Kenne Bell. I'll actually need to hit up David Dalke for my pistons/rings/rods.

I'm really debating the Morana or Delk girdle for my build, but I'm not sure if it would be all that beneficial considering how thin it is in some places. I wish that the BTM girdle was still available :(

No I did not use a girdle on the main bearing caps, but I am using a windage tray. I'm not convinced there is a need for the girdle if using properly torqued ARP main bearing studs. I may discover I was wrong about that later on.

David

No I did not use a girdle on the main bearing caps, but I am using a windage tray. I'm not convinced there is a need for the girdle if using properly torqued ARP main bearing studs. I may discover I was wrong about that later on.

David

I hope that's not the case!

Wouldn't you want to be better safe than sorry?

I know the factory 4.2L truck engine uses a small stud girdle, but has short main caps. It may have been that it was cheaper material wise for Ford to manufacture a stud girdle rather than tall main caps.

I worry about side-loading with the extra stroke, but might not be an issue with the SC's tall main caps.

Keep the pics and updates coming David. I'm interested to see how this works for you!!!

Jeramie

Wouldn't you want to be better safe than sorry?

Yes...that's the path I normally choose, but after running my last motor for about 30K hard miles and using nitrous and enduring a multitude of screw ups that should have broken the motor it still survived. It was only after receiving the new motor that the old one was taken apart for inspection by Dave. He did find evidence of main bearing cap movement/walk, but also noted that the studs were only torqued to the stock 60 ft. lbs instead of 80 ft. lbs that are possible when using the APR studs.

Had I know that my old motor had shown signs of main cap movement, I would probably have opted for the girdle...just to be safe. But when considering that this motor won't be using nitrous and because of that will be running at about 75 rwhp less, and the main studs are now torqued to 80 ft. lbs, I don't really think there will be a problem. I don't expect to be taking this motor apart for repairs anytime soon, but if I do I'll inspect the mains and let you guys know what I find.

David

I know the factory 4.2L truck engine uses a small stud girdle, but has short main caps. It may have been that it was cheaper material wise for Ford to manufacture a stud girdle rather than tall main caps.

I worry about side-loading with the extra stroke, but might not be an issue with the SC's tall main caps.

Keep the pics and updates coming David. I'm interested to see how this works for you!!!

Jeramie

Will do..... I'm currently stuck waiting for the rain to clear out so I can try again to hook up the scanner and monitor fuel trims. I need to forward that and some other data to Dave so he can adjust the tune to get it close enough that I can start the break in process. Right now it's running too rich and I don't want to risk washing down the cylinder walls.

David

HP/TQ per bore would be less in a v8 then a v6 however so with all things being considered at the same RWHP range youde need beefier v6 internals s well as the block and mains themselves

Round two of road testing was completed this morning. I hooked up the scanner correctly this time and didn't have any of the weird stuff going on that happened last time. So far so good. For the first time in years, I don't have any leaks under the car :)

I expect to have my spare chip back from Dave with several revised tunes to try next week.

David

Round two of road testing was completed this morning. I hooked up the scanner correctly this time and didn't have any of the weird stuff going on that happened last time. So far so good. For the first time in years, I don't have any leaks under the car :)

I expect to have my spare chip back from Dave with several revised tunes to try next week.

David

That's good news. It's getting there.

Ira

Where are you at with your Blower combination Casey?

Ken

I've just been using it as a school wagon. The plugs only last about a week before they foul out. In need of a tune, one would say.

I have been working on a set of heads and I'm gettin ready to build a shortblock for it, too. Afftterrrr thaaaaaattt, I need to find out something for an intercooler.

Back