90 SC in ATL - avoid like the plague!

Trailor

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ctd/1106613640.html

Went to go check it out when i was in atlanta, its at some auto broker place (Christian Auto Brokers, if you're familiar with the area)... i scoped it out before one of the salesman came outside. The "new paint job" is so freakin cheap, it'll prolly cost you more to take it off than it was to put on - its cracking around the trim bad; theres a big spot on the passenger side where the paint ran; its got two big chips on the passenger door; theres some of it on the rubber corners of the windows; they painted over the fog lights and side lights on the bumper. The corner light is busted. The tires have minimal treadwear, but the front two are so dry-rotted that they have huge cracks wrapping fully around each one.

Then i went in and talked to a salesman. He brought the keys and i discovered even more problems: the left driver's side arm rest is falling off; there is grease around the SC pulley and around the exhaust manifolds; the inside smelled like they were trying to hide a smoke smell (two cigarette butts in ash tray). They honestly didn't try cleaning anything before i got there.

Finally, i went to crank her up and bring it around the block... Took me 5 or 6 tries to start it up. The salesman claimed the guy who brought it in hadn't drove it for a while... Finally get her cranked up, and it sticks at about 3000 for 15 seconds, then dies down to "idle," which was 1600 rpms... and was STILL tryin to kill on me! Also noticed a constant cloud of white smoke puffing out the exhaust pipes... I told the guy to forget about it, i was afraid the damn thing wouldn't make it back.

Best part is, it says $2800 on craigslist (which they told me it was ONLY bc i mentioned the ad), yet says $3900 on the window! If you blue book this car (not mentioning any of its flaws), it retails at about $2590.. but that is in dealer condition, which this obviously was nowhere near.

HOWEVER - there is an 02 or 03 gt next to it which has about 50k or 60k miles on it selling for $10,000. That car actually looked pretty clean, but i would definitely inspect it with a fine tooth comb before considering buying from these guys.

makes me feel better about my asking price on my car that actually runs and isn't a grenade with the pin pulled.

lemon law? offer them 500 cash afer having a mechanic you know look it over and show them the 1700 dollar job that needs to be done. :)

lemon law? offer them 500 cash afer having a mechanic you know look it over and show them the 1700 dollar job that needs to be done. :)

wasn't sure if the lemon law applied in ga. i know it does in louisiana, but i mean thats just too far of a distance for me to have the car crap out on me back to new orleans. and theres no way i was gonna tow it that far.

Back