Have to jump fuel pump relay for engine to run

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I've been working on my 89 trying to get it going after sitting for 5 years. If I shoot some starting fluid into the MAF it'll crank up and idle but if I give it any throttle it stalls right out. If I jumper the fuel pump relay at the EEC test connector the pump runs and I can rev the engine but only if it's jumpered. No jumper and it stalls with throttle. Pulling the fuel pump relay kills kills the fuel pump so I know the relay is good. It looks like the fuel pump relay coil connection goes to the EEC pin 22 from the test connector. Could the EEC have failed? Anybody seen this before?

Yes, that's in series with the fuel pump relay coil so if the relay operates and the pump can be jumpered to run it's got to be. I tripped it and reset it just to be sure.

It does have a security system but it was never a problem in the past when I had it running. Is there a switch somewhere that needs to be reset, maybe?

At least yours starts. I had to hotwire and switch my fuel pump and then come to find out I have no spark. I put in a new ignition switch, new (used) IRCM and computer, and still nothing.

Back