Liquid Inter cooler?

RedSC93

Liquid Inter cooler? A friend of mine is looking to by a black 89 5-speed and when they sent over photos it shows that its liquid inter cooled? She said her father did the work to the car. I just never seen this before and wondering if any of you know of this car or seen something like it.

Jerry

Attachments

• 100_0081.jpg
    100_0081.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0036.jpg
    100_0036.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 345.jpg
    345.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Liquid Inter cooler? A friend of mine is looking to by a black 89 5-speed and when they sent over photos it shows that its liquid inter cooled? She said her father did the work to the car. I just never seen this before and wondering if any of you know of this car or seen something like it.

Jerry

I dont beleive a stock core would be a good choice to modify for a water cooled intercooler. Everyone of the stock ICs I have gotten leak to some degree due to the epoxy getting old and brittle from heating up and than cooling over time. It looks like from the picture that a stock IC was used and boxed in. The heat from the welding cooks the epoxy sealing the tubes even more and they always leak. It is why I have always resealed the tubes after welding up a Dbl IC. Since the IC in the picture is boxed in there would be no way to re epoxy the tubes. Also one of the problems is the end tanks dont flow well and are restrictive. So even though someone put some thought into something better for an Intercooler, I doubt this is much better than stock setup and if if it is leaking into the air stream flowing from the supercharger, and if they are using sometype of anti freeze in the water than there is the possibility of damage to the engine. Just my 2 cents or a buck and a half looking at this long post:D

Ken

Even resealing the tubes with epoxy and solving that problem the other thing is the stock IC is small and will only flow so much air volume. A dbl IC has two cores so more volume to flow air. Also air entering the top end tank, air just slams in to the rear of the end tank. The end tanks should taper down to nothing for a better path for the compressed air coming from the supercharger and flowing through the core. They should also be larger in size. I am always rebuilding something on my car but I also am looking to get the biggest bang for my changes. If I was going to do a water to air IC I would use a lot better foundation than the poor stock IC used by Ford. Just an opinion

Ken

Ken

Back