Coolant leaking from bottom of crank pulley

Tony8470

I just got everything put together and I hammered on it to expose any weaknesses on the motor and I definitely found one!

The mods I put on were MP FMIC and SCI underdrives. When I got home there was coolant all over the engine bay! I popped open the radiator cap and there was a steady stream of coolant leaking from the bottom of the crank pulley. I read there is a possible failure of the timing chain cover and the harmonic balancer has a coolant seal. Anyone have the same problem so I can get started on which one?

You might want to check the weep hole on the underside of the waterpump housing...the purpose of which is to alert you that the pump seal and/or bearings are going out so you can have a chance to replace the pump before it gets worse.

You can check with a pressure tester as well.

Second the water pump. There is no place coolant can leak out of the crank pulley, and the seal on the timing cover is for oil, not coolant. If you don't have oil and coolant mixing, then your problem is likely either the water pump weep hole, or you possibly blew one of the hoses going to the oil cooler. From the sounds of it though, I would guess the weep hole.

there is also the coolant crossover tube thats right under the crank pulley. if you didn't change the short hose sections that's probably the culprit.

If you don't seal up the timing chain cover to the block properly you will have a coolant leak. That would be coming from either or both sides of the cover approximately level with the water pump, and sadly, could very well dump coolant to the inside and that means contaminated oil.

Fraser

Back