6G alternator ?

Paul,

Please post the pictures, because I'm still planning to get a 6G installed over the winter. I'm also ditching this ~~~ optima red top battery.

David

Absolutely dump the battery. I've gone through two of them and they don't last at all. Now I use the stock Motorcraft one and have never had a problem.

Ira

I'll head on out to the garage and snap you a few pictures of the mounting and wiring Dave did. As for the battery, I've been super happy with the gold/yellow top Autozone batteries. I fell asleep in my car one night listening to the radio while trying to sober up after a pub crawl. 6 hours later the car fired right up without missing a beat.

Pics on the way.

I'll head on out to the garage and snap you a few pictures of the mounting and wiring Dave did. As for the battery, I've been super happy with the gold/yellow top Autozone batteries. I fell asleep in my car one night listening to the radio while trying to sober up after a pub crawl. 6 hours later the car fired right up without missing a beat.

Pics on the way.

I was happy with the AZ battery too (it's in my 93 now)....only reason I changed it was because the yellow didn't match my red plug wires and tensioner pulleys.

David

I was happy with the AZ battery too (it's in my 93 now)....only reason I changed it was because the yellow didn't match my red plug wires and tensioner pulleys.

David

Somehow I knew that LOL

Just like you knew that one of the reasons I switched back was because it's all black again.

Ira

I've considered the Autozone red top for the same reasons! LOL

Here are the pictures. It's hard to tell, but the middle wire in the harness is the one that's cut.

Edit: Got this one on eBay for about $99 with the wiring harness included.

Attachments

• Alt 1.jpg
    Alt 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 650
  • Alt 2.jpg
    Alt 2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Alt 3.jpg
    Alt 3.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 662
  • Alt 4.jpg
    Alt 4.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 1,191
That's the same exact Alternator I purchased on ebay as well. Did you have any fitment issues with the pulley?

The Stock SC Alternator Pulley wanted to stickout just a shade further than it did on the OE unit...I see you have the UD pulley but hwo did it work?

-Tim

Ryan, No link. I just did a search for 6G alternator or similar and quite a few popped up.

Tim, Dave did the install when he was working on my car. He mentioned earlier in this thread that he had to use a small shim to get the pulley to fit properly and not rub the alt case. Otherwise, I've had no issues with it at all.

Crown victorias, IIRC 00-02 come with 6g alternators, my 01 p71 came with a 6g 135 amp, 2003 and up come with 200 amp but I think they are PCM controlled.

If you want a new 200 amp don't buy from db electrical or quickstart.. just my .02

Alternator apparently took a dump on me. Started noticing interior lights dimming, then the radio would shut off on me when I rolled the windows up/down (when they both stopped). Finally, car didn't start and battery was about dead when I checked the voltage. Off to find a new one from Advance. Looks like the part number we need is 92510 or 92523 (Remy Delco new 6g, 110A). I'll let you guys know what I find out after I have the old alternator tested and get the new one installed.

There is a guy on corrall.net that sells new or rebuilt units. I cracked the terminal on mine and bought a new one from this dude...Came with an 8 rib pulley the same size as found on my SCI UD pulley kit...So I left it.

If you do a search youll find him on there..Great to deal with and it fit perfect with no belt issues

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'm going to go with the new one from Advance and get the lifetime warranty. That peace of mind is worth a little extra money.

He offers a warrenty as well. From what he mentione dis that many of the ones out there are made in china and inferior...Of course its easier to go to advance@!

Alternator apparently took a dump on me. Started noticing interior lights dimming, then the radio would shut off on me when I rolled the windows up/down (when they both stopped). Finally, car didn't start and battery was about dead when I checked the voltage. Off to find a new one from Advance. Looks like the part number we need is 92510 or 92523 (Remy Delco new 6g, 110A). I'll let you guys know what I find out after I have the old alternator tested and get the new one installed.

At least the replacement is 1/2 the cost of a new SC Alternator. :rolleyes: How many miles before it went out?

Also I determined my alternator pulley alignment issues (for anyone else doing this swap). Part of this swap involves swapping over the SC alternator pulley to the new 6G unit...I beleive the SC pulley has more ribs and over all is a different diameter sized pulley also. Now I beleive I had the parts store replacement SC alternator before the swap.

What I determined is the aternator shafts and pulleys are designed differently. The pulley from the SC alternator I had had pulley with a designed lip on the back to work as a spacer on the shaft. The 6G pulley did not, but rather the Shaft was made with a spacer on it...Combining the 2 made for the difference in alignment since I was now double spaced. With the Diagram below I was trying to use pulley design 1 on alternator design 2...and there you have it. The used of a belt sander on a level surface helped me remedy this issue in pretty quick fashion.

This also proved to be the case this weekend when I swapped an OE FORD Alternator Pulley onto an Advance Auto SC Alternator...same alternator but the shaft design is completely different.

Posted below is a MSpaint Diagram.

-Tim

Attachments

• alternators.JPG
    alternators.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
11k miles, give or take.

EDIT: The front case of the 92523 has a lip on it around the pulley shaft that interferes with the SC alternator pulley. Even if spacers are used to get the pulley to clear the case, the pulley sits too far away from the case and causes belt alignment issues. I'm going to have them order the 92510 and remove the supplied pulley to verify if the front case is the same as the one I got from eBay (supposedly a 8262-11 from a F650/750 diesel).

Last edited:
Tim, I now know what you're talking about with the shaft. The front case on all of the 6G alternators I looked at from Advance have that lip you mentioned the protrudes around the shaft. You'd have to grind the front of the case down to get our pulleys to work (with a small spacer on the backside of the pulley for clearance).

I ended up taking my alternator to Vee-Co here in Memphis and had them rebuild it similar to their police cruiser ones. High output at idle with slightly upped peak output (~185A).

Even with my UD pulleys, output should be 65-70A at idle which will pretty much cover the needs of all the electrical components without having to draw power from the battery. Cost was $300, but that's no different than getting a new SC one... and I know it's going to last.

Paul,

Did you ever determine what the application was for the alternator you had rebuilt ? I've decided to go ahead and buy a 6g and so far the only place that has info on what it takes to make one that bolts up to an SC is Ohio Generator and their list price for a 200 amp unit is around $425 for a new unit.

David

CHeck corrall.net and look for a guy selling the 6G..He sells new or rebuilt and will supply correct size pulley. His name is green something or other

attachment.php

attachment.php

Are the wire colors on this 6G pigtail the same as the factory harness ? If not what color goes to what ? I've got a new 6G alt with pigtail about 6 months ago and I'm finally motivated to install it. BTW, is this picture showing a clocked rear cover, or is that how it comes stock ?

David

don't be afraid of the powah!!!

i stuffed a 500 amp alternator on one of my supercoupes

can't help you on the wiring differences between the two alternators, i can say that ford typically keeps their connectors the same though

Back