cranks but wouldnt start

is the negative cable to the starter good? after i finished my hg job i couldnt get the car to fire, just clicked and died...wiggled the wire on the starter and it fired right up.....changing it is a pain in the butt but thats what i ended up doing and it works fine now. just a thought

it ''cranks'' like a new car but jus wouldnt fire up...starter is doing its job so the battery....:)

Have you checked the ignition switch? It would be a good idea to do so. The reason you are only getting power to the relay when you cut the key on is because the engine is not running. It only supplies voltage momentarily untill the engine is running. You can jump the relay, but that will only tell you if the fuel pump will run. Have you checked for fuel pressure?

Have you checked the ignition switch? It would be a good idea to do so. The reason you are only getting power to the relay when you cut the key on is because the engine is not running. It only supplies voltage momentarily untill the engine is running. You can jump the relay, but that will only tell you if the fuel pump will run. Have you checked for fuel pressure?

can i jump it at the relay's harness to direct the FP supply to see if fuel pump runs?

heres the video of the car cranking

http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/burhangondal/?action=view&current=nostart.flv

The fuel pump relay that you should be checking at is in the trunk. Yes you should be able to. Find one of the power wires, they should be a white wire and a black with yellow tracer wire. Jump one of those to the pink with black tracer wire. Make sure there is power on the 2 wires that should have power first.

Noone has asked this yet, so here we go, when you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump kick on? If you need to, you can have someone go back there and listen if you can't hear it to be sure. If not, you can beat the ~~~~ out of the bottom of the gas tank and then try it, if it kicks on or the car starts, then your pump is bad.

Or, with the key on, you can test if it has fuel pressure under the hood by pushing down on the shrader valve (i think thats what its called?) and some fuel should come out of it, again, if not, then your pump is bad. it may have just been a coincidence that it started acting up when you did the filter and maf

Last edited:
The fuel pump relay that you should be checking at is in the trunk. Yes you should be able to. Find one of the power wires, they should be a white wire and a black with yellow tracer wire. Jump one of those to the pink with black tracer wire. Make sure there is power on the 2 wires that should have power first.

i jus tried jumping the relay and tried starting tha car still no luck:(....i hear no fuel pump at all even with wires jumped (i did it with relay out of the harness then relay in harness)...funny thing is before this all happend i heard fuel pump running very loud like not krazy loud but i could hear it sitting in the car..so thats normal i guess?...after that i havnt heard from fuel pump YET lol.....

Noone has asked this yet, so here we go, when you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump kick on? If you need to, you can have someone go back there and listen if you can't hear it to be sure. If not, you can beat the ~~~~ out of the bottom of the gas tank and then try it, if it kicks on or the car starts, then your pump is bad.

Or, with the key on, you can test if it has fuel pressure under the hood by pushing down on the shrader valve (i think thats what its called?) and some fuel should come out of it, again, if not, then your pump is bad. it may have just been a coincidence that it started acting up when you did the filter and maf

i also tried banging on the fuel tank with rubber hammer but no start....ok i m feeling sucha noob at this time but can u tell me where the shrader vavle is?:eek: so i can check the last thing to make sure FP is working or not thanks

Last edited:
i have diagram front of me and all i see is one wire going to self test connecter under the hood (TAN-LT GRN) , one coming from power distributer box (BLK/YEL), another going to the fuel pump (or merges into the wire PNK/BLK coming from EEC pin nimber 19) and other one WHT going to inertia switch(impact switch)

wat i dont get is how the ECA controls the fuel pump then? from the RED wire?:confused: or could it be bad Integrated controller module?

Last edited:
Where did you get the diagram from? I have the Ford manual here.

i got the diagram from my college i went there and printed it off the computer

heres the video again me pushing down the schrader vavle and ignition was on all the time and fuel didnt come out? but if u crank then fuel coming out?...and at the end of the video notice that car was jus gonna start while i was pushing on SV...weird...and i kept cranking cuz it was jus gonna start (felt like it) and my battery died lol...and my friend took my charger so i m waiting for my dad to come and give me a boost ( if car starts lol )
http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/burhangondal/?action=view&current=hellyadoingsomestuff.flv

Last edited:
That does not look like near enough pressue to me. It would be better to get a gauge on it to get an actual reading.

That does not look like near enough pressue to me. It would be better to get a gauge on it to get an actual reading.

there should be pressure with only key on engine off rite? i dont have the gauge at the moment but i will get hands on it soon...

if theres not enough pressure coming from the fuel pump it means bad fuel pump?:eek:

Last edited:
Most likely, or a bad connection to it. It should have pessure when cranking as well.

ok i jus went out to give it a crank again and it started? WTH...i had to keep the rpm high to keep it running then it bogged down and motor turned offf...can someone tell me wadda heck is going on wit this car LOL

how hard is it to change the fuel pump?

Last edited:
ok i jus went out to give it a crank again and it started? WTH...i had to keep the rpm high to keep it running then it bogged down and motor turned offf...can someone tell me wadda heck is going on wit this car LOL

how hard is it to change the fuel pump?

at that point, since you eventually got some fuel to come out of the the shrader valve, there was some fuel in the lines and such, so it will run for a second, then die.

EDIT: You have to drop the exhaust, and then the gas tank, its not THAT difficult to do, but not exactly simple either.

Last edited:
at that point, since you eventually got some fuel to come out of the the shrader valve, there was some fuel in the lines and such, so it will run for a second, then die.

EDIT: You have to drop the exhaust, and then the gas tank, its not THAT difficult to do, but not exactly simple either.

Now i think its a bad fuel pump if someone else has any other trick plz would appreciate before i go out dropping the exhaust and then the tank:eek:

EDIT: again i will list wat i have checked

1. checked FP relay (good)

2. checked inertia switch its not triggered but i did it and reseted again

3. jumped the fuel pump from the self test connector and at the FP relay it self...i heard no fuel pump running and car would not start with FP jumped

4.checked the schrader valve. There is no fuel coming out of it while key on engine off....and wen u crank there is fuel coming outta of it but not much (theres a video up dere showing this)

5.oh and checked the FP relay harness i m getting Battery volts there with no key in ignition and wen i turn the key to on position i get jus over 6 volts there

6. ? lol

Last edited:
Back