ways to wake up a stock sc motor while its apart.

1990XR7SC

So as the title states im looking for a way to wake the sc motor up. i have a stock setup for now and since i have to put another crank into it i should just build this motor the way i want right off the bat. So what is the best way to go about it? i know a later blower and all but im asking about internal parts... cam, pistons, valves ect. So let me know!!

First things first---whats your budget---these engines can be rebuilt for as little as 1500 for a decent job to the sky's the limit for a high horsepower build, so its the oldest question in hotrodding. How fast can you afford to go? But since you said you need a crank already I'd start with a 4.2 liter truck crank and build an engine around it to the limits of your budget. I built mine for around 1700 but didn't go with any forged internals..............Dan

Last edited:
Dan is correct that you should set a budget. If you are wanting to just wake up a stock SC and you are getting into the internals than a cam is the heart of everything. Spec it right and you can use stock valve train & push rods. Get greedy than you have to look at diffrent valve springs, push rods. And likely supporting mods. I dont beleive just home porting the heads will make much diffrence as I did that myself and when put on a flow bench I saw minimum gains. When I had bigger valves installed I saw a total increase of 30% better flow on an average. Also have the stock exhaust manifolds ported out for better flow. Thats my 2 cents

Ken

Whats yoru budget.....Internally rods and pistons wont make you go faster (stock stronger replacement) and stroker kits well....Your budget will really dictate what you do and stronger replacement parts needed dependant on how far you go

At the very least a mild cam and good valve springs will wake it up

now what about port matching the intake and smoothing out the exhaust side with a cam upgrade? But basically im flying by the seat of my pants. right now in the rebuild i have 145 in the rebuild. so possibly around 1000 or so.

WOW a set of rings and bearings, cam and springs and a set of head studs (a must, if you want to beat on it) and gaskets are going to eat that up....Porting the heads is more a science on these engines than most, there is a ledge in the exhaust ports that normally would be completely removed and the short side radius smoothed--it you jack with the short side very much seems to actually hurt flow---keep most of the work up in the roof area if you decide to do it yourself and with stock valves there is really not a lot to be gained on the intake side outside the bowl area.....just my two centavos................Dan

Back