SC 3.8 Rod Journal Dimensions

dklitzke

Greetings,
I am planning a rebuild of my '95 SC longblock soon, and if possible, I want to build a long rod motor. The basic idea is to use a slightly longer connecting rod with a shorter piston, which lengthens the stroke, and produces bucu torque acrosst a wide power band. This is a sure way to get lots of power relatively cheap-cheaper than a stroker anyway. Although, the machine shop told me that usually when you order custom pistons at $100 each, they usually make you buy eight. I'm hoping to get around that though, since I will only need the six.
So, does anyone know the rod journal dimensions of the stock '95 SC 3.8? It will be great if there is a rod that has the right dimensions already out there, although it will probly be a Chevy rod, since they make bucu different sizes of things for Chevy and not so many for Fords. I won't mind using them though, long as they don't have them silly little bowties stamped in'em hehe!
I got this idea from an article I read in Carcraft mag several years ago. They built a 351 long rod motor, and it produced like 425 HP and nearly 500 ft lbs on pump gas with a medium size carb, and it didn't cost too terribly much to build.
If anyone has the sizes of the those 95 SC 3.8 rod journal dimensions, let me know, and as this project progresses I'll keep everyone posted.

Don Klitzke
Prospect TN

From my 91 Service manual (the bottom end should be the same for 89-95). Connecting Ros Journal

Diameter: 58.682-58.702 mm/2.3103-2.311 in

Out-of-round limit: .008mm(.0003in) Max
in 45 degrees: 015mm(.6in) Total
Taper Limit: .008mm per 25mm (.0003in per in)

Surface limit(RMS) .3 micrometers(11.8 microinches)

All straight from the book, didn't know if you'd need all of this so here ya go!

A 351 Windsor rod fits perfectly in an SC motor with custom pistons. The reason for the pistons, the rod is ever so slightly longer than the stock SC rod so you have to move the wrist pin. Other than that, the rod journal dimensions are perfect.

Chris

Back