Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Aligment. Problems Still.....ARGH

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX View Post
    Does the front k member (factory) have alighnment holes. If so did the one you have alos have them. I just bring this up because I know the rear subframe does. Doug made a nifty little tool to align things up back there
    Yes there are alignment holes on the factory ones, I think you use pilot tool to locate it. The new Tube K does not, but I was and still am after all the discussion under the impression that it does not matter as long as you compensate elsewhere on the alignment points.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 05-12-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

K member alignment is important. Caster is a factor of the locating points of your upper control arm (the body) and the lower control arm mounting point (K-member). Clearly improper positioning of the K-member will result in skewed caster readings. This can be compensated for but you should be aware that the K-member most definitely impacts caster.

Caster is not measured by any alignment machine. It is calculated based on a comparison between straight ahead and 20deg steering angle. I forget if it's toe or camber that is compared, but either way caster is calculated and yes, rear ride height with respect to the front will affect caster.

As long as your new caster settings are within factory spec, there is no reason that they should adjust it, although it is typical in any alignment to have the higher caster on the passenger side so that the vehicle will tend to drift slightly to the right rather than into oncoming traffic. Generally less than 1 deg cross caster is desired (as I recall).

And yes, I recall your car was a little scary to drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    Yes there are alignment holes on the factory ones, I think you use pilot tool to locate it. The new Tube K does not, but I was and still am after all the discussion under the impression that it does not matter as long as you compensate elsewhere on the alignment points.
    The new K didn't have any provisions to line anything up, but when we put it in I made sure that we referenced the k member to the frame rails and verified that it was centered left and right. As far as forward and aft, I just remember as close as we could. I believe that there is more adjustment left and right as opposed to forward and aft (refering to the captive nuts in the frame).

Dave, have you installed your K yet? I'm curious to see how it went.

Might as well just spend the cash upfront and get your own alignment setup and be able to do it for life. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year, but lost interest in the car.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Specialty-Prod...59610/10002/-1

Quote Originally Posted by fastsc92 View Post

Dave, have you installed your K yet? I'm curious to see how it went.
    Not yet. I'm sitting here looking at my shiny new pistons at the moment. As soon as the motor is assembled, I'll start working on the car itself. Looks to be a fun summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.