Thread: 1/2 Noob Owner

1/2 Noob Owner

I say 1/2 noob as I bought an SC motor online and am dropping it into an 86 Mustang. It's been one hell of a project so far and hopefully will be done by the time I make it home from overseas. I have a couple of questions for the guys who know these cars inside and out. What kind of hp and torque am I going to gain from this swap? My car was originally a 3.8 NA with auto. Now, she's going to be a 3.8 SC with auto. I started this project to keep my car unique. I didn't want to be the average stang owner with the "fastest" 5.0 out there and now that 351 windsors becomming more popular also, it took the uniqueness out of owning it. I could have gone all out with a 460 like I really want, but it was not practical with a daily driver. Besides I can go find another mustang for that eventually. Any insight to these cars is greatly appreciated.

The 89-93 motors were rated at 210hp and 315tq. I think the 94-95 motors were 230hp and 330tq. Those are apoximate as my memory serves me. What year motor did you get? You might want to get an SC trans. to go with it as well. The stang trans. a lot of times won't hold up under the torque.

ah ha dave has spoken, whats up dave?

yep that trans is going to be taxed the gen2 94-95 sc made more power mainly because of the more effecient supercharger design.

The biggest problems with our sc's are the electronics. Stay away from the sc ecu and electronics and run a base setup with a distributor. You can tune it to get the same results as the sc tune.

posting from cary, n.c. until tomorrow morning that is back to n.o

too late on the sc electronics. the damn thing is wired up for the most part. she's turnkey now but the fuel pump won't come on. so she just sits there and spins round and round without any fuel. any suggestions?

Have you posted your situation with the car in the tech forum? You will get much better results there.

Yes, I have. I did get some ideas to look into. Thanks