Hmmm, WTF!!! Should i drive a HONDA!

Bigme574

I'm hating my car, it wont make up it's mind. I used to have a pretty bad idle prob. Now i have a small idle prob for about 15 seconds after i start it...after that it is perfect. Is it a hose that leaks when cold in a vacuum line? Is it the IAC, no one can seem to help me and i cant help myself. I dont have time to rip off the TB, and the vacuum lines to test. So any help on this would be nice. I have a Honda Accord and its running great now, it used to be that my SC was the primary car, now its pissing me off with these little problems that no one knows the diagnosis for. So i'm sorry if i sound hostile...but i am! i just want my SC to be normal ALL of the time. Not crappy for even 15 seconds.

Summary:
-idles strange for 15 seconds after car starts...then perfect
-No IC leaks
-runs lsightly warmer than usually (running lean?)
-Stock 02 sensors on 158K replaced nearly every damn part on the car but the 02 sensors.
-Dont want to sell it, but i am in college w/ 2 cars.
-So can ANYONE help?????

1991 5-speed Dynomax dual exhaust, empty cats, removed silencer, pushes 9-10.5 lbs boost

---sorry about the HONDA ordeal, but it got your attention ;o)

Aaron

O2 sensors are not involved in a cold engine. Cold engine problems are due to a slight vacuum leak that the engine can handle warm. If you have an EGR there is an EVR solenoid mounted on the firewall next to the EEC test connector. It's item 9J459.
evrsheet.jpg

Unplug the double vacuum connector and find witch one is the vacuum source. Now the next day when you go to start the car cold, unplug than connector and plug the one with vacuum. Now start the car and see if the idle is smooth. The EVR has a vent and is supposed to leak vacuum so the EGR can bleed down. Over time it leaks more than is necessary. If your problem goes away replace EVR.

no egr

I dont have that evr solenoid. I have a 91 SC...the diagram is for an 89...but thanks for the post, i appreciate it. Now im really screwed.

Specifically, how exactly did your car idle previously when it was real bad, and what symptoms are you noticing with idle now?

it's called the computer setting the idle...

most likely not, but i felt a smart ass comment was needed here.

IAC????

You IAC could be sticking. It is located on the throttle body. Remove it clean it with alchol and a cotton swab.

Jeff

Back