Differential Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumps90SC

I decided to change the differential fluid on my 90SC, since I don't know if it has ever been done (bought the car used). Although the Ford parts guy (not Ed) gave me a funny look when I asked him for the oil and friction modifier, I think I'll proceed anyway. Is the easiest way to change this by pumping out the old fluid with one of those small hand pumps? If anyone has done this or has suggestions, I'd appreciate your input. The shop manual is no help unless I plan on taking the whole rear-end out of the car.

Buy a new rear end gasket, and take the rear cover off the rearend. There is no drain hose for it, the cover has to come off very easy and easy to put back on with gasket. The pain in the neck part is to refill the rear end. I made up a hose about 6' long so I could let the gear oil gravity feed into the rear end. It takes just under 2 litres along with the friction modifier. Make sure to torque the bolts back on! I think that oil change shops that do this service on a regular basis have some sort of pump that pumps that heavy oil into the rear ends. Good luck.

Most people don't ever think to change diff fluid. The funny look is normal. Just remember when you drain the fluid check it for any metal shavings, this will tell you if you have any (unseen) problems. Also, when you refill the diff., put the friction modifier in FIRST, then the oil.

There is no gasket for the rear diff, I did mine and I know it was never done before and there was no old gasket. They seal these with black RTV and it works like a charm. You can get diff oil in a plastic squirt bottle from say Valvoline and then your able to shove the nozzle in to fill it.

Fel-Pro makes the gaskets and although yours may not have had one they are available. Canadian Tire sells them, a lot easier and way faster in my opinion then applying the RTV stuff. JFI- It is very hard especially if you are on the ground to try and squirt the heavy rear gear oil into our rearends buying a 6' piece of 1/2" poly pipe and putting it in the rear end so you can let gravity feed the oil into the rear end works great(still takes a while but you are standing by the wheel of the car not underneath it) If you have a pump that's even easier again.

Hey Terralex
Please don't reply to 14 year old threads. Most of us have moved to more recent issues.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back