Flaming River Stainless Steel Steering Joint

DLF

I've recently installed a Flaming River stainless steel steering joint to replace the stock rag joint. You can do this to either make more room for headers or just to tighten up the steering a bit.

The p/n is FR2515DD. You also need about 2 inches of DD bar, p/n FR1850SS, which, unfortunately, is only sold in 18" lengths. I've installed two of these, one in my SC and the other in my LSC. After cutting a 2" section of the DD bar, a hole needs to be drilled for the steering shaft retaining bolt (which I changed to a 10mm x 1.5mm x 25mm stainless steel button head bolt, for even more clearance) and two dimples need to be drilled for the set screws that retain the joint to the DD bar.

If anyone else wants to do this, I have about 14" of DD bar left. ;)

Attachments

• HPIM0424.JPG
    HPIM0424.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 648
  • HPIM0426.JPG
    HPIM0426.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 656
  • HPIM0619.JPG
    HPIM0619.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 4,870
  • HPIM0620.JPG
    HPIM0620.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 675
  • HPIM0501.JPG
    HPIM0501.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
? now if you do this mod, could you use just about any of the mustang v6 headers. I really don't think i can afford 800+ bucks for the kooks.

It should defiantly be investigated.

I can def. vouch for not being able to use the mustang longtubes regardless of what steering shaft you use. The longtubes will hit the block and bellhousing, at least they did in my 5-speed. The stock rag joint clears fine, and the #4 primary isn't the issue.

That suck's, I was trying to be cheap. they do have good prices on the stang headers at summit.

Several people have asked if I'd make them a complete joint, and 1 member has already paid for one.

I'll make complete SS (unpolished) joints, ready to install, including the button head bolt for $140 shipped (lower 48).

PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
2 pieces left...

Or, if you don't want the entire joint, I'll sell the DD stub, drilled, with the button head bolt for $35 shipped (lower 48).

Attachments

• HPIM0710.JPG
    HPIM0710.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 447
  • HPIM0711.JPG
    HPIM0711.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Just wondering if this might help with the "dead" feeling I when cornering. It feels as if the entire steering system is separate from the rest of the car when driving on an exit/entrance ramp, or a long sweeping curve. Perhaps I should make a full post in the tech section, but was curious to you thoughts having driven with this joint.

I also have 18" of DD bar in the basement. I haven't got around to using it yet ;)

Thomas

Just wondering if this might help with the "dead" feeling I when cornering. It feels as if the entire steering system is separate from the rest of the car when driving on an exit/entrance ramp, or a long sweeping curve. Perhaps I should make a full post in the tech section, but was curious to you thoughts having driven with this joint.

I also have 18" of DD bar in the basement. I haven't got around to using it yet ;)

Thomas

Along with good steering rack bushings, and a tight front suspension....

There's very little slop in either my SC or LSC now.

The answer would depend upon the condition of your stock rag joint.

But is your DD bar stainless? :cool:

Yes, SS is the only way to go! ;)

I've been meaning to post something in the tech section for some opinions, so I should do that. That would be one of the last things to replace steering/suspension wise on the car, so maybe it is the missing link I am looking for?? :confused:

Thomas

Yes, SS is the only way to go! ;)

I've been meaning to post something in the tech section for some opinions, so I should do that. That would be one of the last things to replace steering/suspension wise on the car, so maybe it is the missing link I am looking for?? :confused:

Thomas

Unless your rack is the problem....

Could be. That is about the only thing I didn't replace. Maybe I should have done that when I had everything else apart! :rolleyes: Oh well, I needed something to do this winter anyway.

Thomas

Back