Starter issues all over again. Fixed

I checked my wire and its crimped with sealing heat shrink. So I didn't do anything with that yet. But I did move the spade around to scrap it in and didn't have any problems today or for the past couple weeks. I'll jack it up higher and swap it to the ring. And check back afterward.

Yeah I have not had starting issues yet. I hope its a thing of the past for me now. Cranks faster now IMO.

I it did it again, It got hot today and a restart it clicked. :mad::eek:

Gonna go fix that ground at the chasis and see if that is causing issues. Im not happy.

I've had this problem since 02. Always figured it was just a fluke. Nice to see i'm not alone. I've reterminated the spade connector, added grounds. No luck yet on my end. Optima yellow for battery, 0ga from alt to fuse panel, and 0ga to bat from fuse panel. Healthy battery grounds, and a beefy battery topper for the optima with a volt gauge and 0 corrosion possibility factor.

Good luck ricardo, if you fix it, lemme know. Sux that its a ghost problem and usually doesn't do it when you are lookin to fix it.

BTW, when it does it, if you keep the key forward in teh start position, does it eventually crank? Mine will sometimes.

Found it found it found it !!!

CLUTCH SWITCH ! CLUTCH SWITCH ! CLUTCH SWITCH !

A lil story, so follow me here. Since i've been driving my sc more and more, and the weather has been turnin colder, thought i'd get my remote starter workin again. Low and behold, I did a micro relay with smaller wires to bypass the clutch switch back in 2001 when i originally installed it. And when I went to remote start it, I got the click click sound. Thought ~~~! So, clicked the remote start again, but pressed in the clutch pedal, and it started. Worked fine before, so, now knowing more about wiring, and electrical, wired my RS starter output to the starter side of the clutch switch wires. No more click click. I just want to wait til the car does it again on its own to verify that it is the clutch switch itself, but i'm 99% positive, that the problem is in that switch. When the car does the click click again, i'll try the remote start, if it cranks, it is the switch.

You are supposed to put the remote starter in the starter side wire of the switch other wise you will have to depress the pedal, I suppose I can bypass the switch but the track regulations require a working one and mine was replaced with a new one and it never fixed the problem ].

I am still having issues and getting out of the car to rock it back and forth is a pain. I would like too try a relay at this point not sure what else too do.

I am still having issues and getting out of the car to rock it back and forth is a pain. I would like too try a relay at this point not sure what else too do.

Have read the thread for awhile...but have you tried a switched wire direct from the battery to the solenoid coil? If that works fine, at least you know for sure that it's the triggering circuit with the problem. It'd be easier to try that first than go through installing a relay. Were you thinking of using the existing "trigger wire" for the new relay coil, then routing a separate wire from the battery to the starter solenoid coil?

Going out on a limb......

I'm going to relate how I fixed my starter probs on my 89..... Even though it appears I have a different (Better??) way of triggering the starter.
When mine went out, I bought the 'Autozone gar-on-teeeed forever and ever and ever, Amen' starter. In a 3 month period, I replaced it 3 times! Once in a water puddle at WalMart! So-o-o-o, I asked for a BRAND NEW Starter! Paid the price difference aqnd went home to put it in.
It installed the same. However, it cranks much, much faster than ANY of the 3 remans and it works perfect in heat, cold, 95 Degr or 41 degrees (Don't know about winter yet....)
And the best part is I haven't had to change a starter since April!!! It even starts with the A/C on!!
So maybe it's the reman starter. Just my thought on this perplexing problem.
Lance

Have read the thread for awhile...but have you tried a switched wire direct from the battery to the solenoid coil? If that works fine, at least you know for sure that it's the triggering circuit with the problem. It'd be easier to try that first than go through installing a relay. Were you thinking of using the existing "trigger wire" for the new relay coil, then routing a separate wire from the battery to the starter solenoid coil?

The problem is that it is intermitten, and if I hard wire the trigger I would have to run that test for a while. Yesterday it did it twice, today once. So its not very consistent.
I was planning on running the stock trigger to activate the relay and have a large gauge wire powering the solenoid from the relay.

The problem is that it is intermitten, and if I hard wire the trigger I would have to run that test for a while. Yesterday it did it twice, today once. So its not very consistent.
I was planning on running the stock trigger to activate the relay and have a large gauge wire powering the solenoid from the relay.

Do you think it's intermittent just because of the flywheel position or electrically intermittent?

Sometimes, don't you wish stuff would just BREAK? :rolleyes:

Dr Lance! Are you coming to the shootout? Looks like I'll be there! :D

I think because of position of the flywheel. If stop and the flywheel is perfectly aligned the starter has no issues. But if I had stopped at a spot that the gear has to work harder to align on the flywheel then I get a click. I have to get out and roll the car in gear and move the engine abit to get it to go.

Last edited:
I think because of position of the flywheel. If stop and the flywheel is perfectly aligned the starter has no issues. But if I had stopped at a spot that the gear has to work harder to align on the flywheel then I get a click. I have to get out and roll the car in gear and move the engine abit to get it to go.

So is your flywheel / starter not correctly spaced? Maybe you need shims.

I doubt it. I already eliminated that possibility after going thru a period of stock flywheels and aftermaket flywheels. It does it regardless. Two different tranny cases ect.

CLUTCH SWITCH ! CLUTCH SWITCH ! CLUTCH SWITCH !

Nope I have the same problem with my auto

Never tried the rocking back and forth to see if that works but right now it really on moves out of the garage and back in so I havent had a problem yet

Nope I have the same problem with my auto

Never tried the rocking back and forth to see if that works but right now it really on moves out of the garage and back in so I havent had a problem yet

Rocking thing I would think only works on Manual cars.

Can't be at shootout..... Pout!

Hi Matt!! (Dr Fishbone)
Sorry, I have to be at a seminar in Chicago this weekend, although I will be picking up some SC parts while I'm there.
Glad you can make the shootout. Cool weather, some rain = Green track and extra HP!!! Should see a LOT of tire smoke this coming weekend!!!
Have fun and post your times!!
Lance

So I took off the Snow kit and my Miata battery out, among other things like H2O, long story I dont care to share. :rolleyes: And went back to the stock size battery. And the darn starter problem still there at times. This issue is so frustrating, and embarrasing. Im afraid of taking people in the car because if it not starting. Then I gotta explain why I am rocking the car back and forth in gear. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad:

Are the starters from the earlier cars the same. Im tempted to try the starter from the anniversary.

Ill have to put back the snow kit. My car pings without it. 19psi, 24deg and 93octane is not enough to keep detonation down, weird though the car is running rich with the new 60# but I still hear pinging at times./

So I took off the Snow kit and my Miata battery out, among other things like H2O, long story I dont care to share. :rolleyes: And went back to the stock size battery. And the darn starter problem still there at times. This issue is so frustrating, and embarrasing. Im afraid of taking people in the car because if it not starting. Then I gotta explain why I am rocking the car back and forth in gear. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad:

Are the starters from the earlier cars the same. Im tempted to try the starter from the anniversary.

Ill have to put back the snow kit. My car pings without it. 19psi, 24deg and 93octane is not enough to keep detonation down, weird though the car is running rich with the new 60# but I still hear pinging at times./

Not uncommon to run rich and still get detonation. What plugs are you using ?

David

Not uncommon to run rich and still get detonation. What plugs are you using ?

David

Autolites 103s if I remember .35-.40 gap. The snow was simply washer fluid for the street tune. It seems to make a difference though cause it did not ping before. Temps are also cool so seems weird to me. Ive been trying to relocate the snow kit and use an early coolant bottle next to the air filter on my 94. To supply it. I am trying to avoid taking off the bumper to install it, Im trying to find a spot under the K&N filter. I bought some more line at the hardware store to attemp the reinstallation. Car is getting retuned this weekend with some luck.

I noticed the fullsize battery that came from the other car is only a 600CC battery.

So I went to walmart and picked up a 1000cc and 850ca one to see if the juiced up one will do the trick. Wish me luck.

Back