Anyone using collector insurance on your SC?

gsp393

I'm looking for collector insurance for my SC and would prefer one with unlimited milage or atleast with the highest allowance. I did a search in the threads and wasn't satisfied with what I found. Also I'm in Texas and think the polices vary by state.

Haggerty

I got a better deal through Haggerty on my Chevelle and Charger. I use the SC as my daily driver but I don't have classice car insurance on it. I pay $355 for both cars total. They are covered at 25k each and no mileage restrictions. I just submitted photos of the cars and I was covered.

Last edited:
Being in Texas you might want to check into Germania. I have 5 cars with them, 3 SC's. 2 of the 3 SC's I consider more valuable than published data. The local agent inpected the cars and noted why they would be considered exceptions for replacement value. Then a value was established and based on mileage the value may drop. With the cars being 15+ years old there is really no additional depreciation for age, just mileage.

I just got some classic quotes... Any opinions

Hagerty - $302
Grundy - $141
JC Taylor - $144

I have had Hagerty before and they were always the cheapest. Dont know why they are the most for my SC. I have never used Grundy or JC Taylor.

I have been with grundy since 2009 and they are where its at. Mine is insured at an agreed value of 25000.00 full coverage unlimited mileage. with either haggerty or grundy you have to take a picture of it in the garage it will be kept in. Haggerty will also put a mileage limitation per year of what you can drive it. You also have to have another vehicle or they wont insure it.

I have been with grundy since 2009 and they are where its at. Mine is insured at an agreed value of 25000.00 full coverage unlimited mileage. with either haggerty or grundy you have to take a picture of it in the garage it will be kept in. Haggerty will also put a mileage limitation per year of what you can drive it. You also have to have another vehicle or they wont insure it.

Thats good info. Thanks. I like the unlimited mileage part. Looks like Grundy is one then.

I switched over to Grundy last year after years with Safeco. No complaints here. Hagerty's quote was over twice that of Grundy's, with more restrictions to boot.

Has anybody who carries collector car insurance ever had a claim, and if so how did that go? Thats what i think is most important.

I asked my insurer (Farm Bureau) about an agreed upon value policy and they said sure. How much do you want? That threw me because I had no idea what to ask for, I figured 30K ought to cover it and they agreed, took a few pictures of the car and charged me only $200 more a year than what I was currently paying. I do have one other car on the policy along with my homeowners and life ins. with them so it's a multi-policy account.

I'm glad to see that one other person here has ins for $25K on their car so I'm in the ball park with my agreed upon value. I'm curious what others who have agreed upon value policies have their cars valued at; anyone else care to share?

They changed the car classification from passenger to classic. In North Carolina the car has to be 25 years old to qualify for antique status, so I'm not quite there yet.

Last edited:
Has anybody who carries collector car insurance ever had a claim, and if so how did that go? Thats what i think is most important.

I had a claim with grundy on my silver 89 for hail damage and they paid out 3800 dollars to fix it and did not total the car, which allowed me to buy another car (the one I own now) that was in pretty near perfect condition. I then sold the other car for 800 and put all of the money in my current car. So grundy is by far the most lenient and they pay there claims. I also had another claim on my red 92 when a bolt fell out of the top of my garage and cracked the windshield, they paid to replace it no questions asked.

I just submitted me application to Grundy. Hope it all gets approved so I can get proof of insurance today so I can finally register it.

I just submitted me application to Grundy. Hope it all gets approved so I can get proof of insurance today so I can finally register it.

Well, approved with flying colors. Grundy was very easy to deal with. Only required one photo of car. I received proof of insurance the same day. Very happy. I am also all registered and ready to go. Cant wait to stretch my birds wings tomorrow when I get it back from the detailer...

When I last looked into these policies, driving was quite limited. You could on drive it to car shows, parades, etc. It couldn't be used for pleasure driving. I inquired about driving it to the Jersey shore for a weekend or week (2hr drive) and was told only if I have another car to drive around while I was staying there. In other words, I was only insured for the ride down and back, but not while I was there.

When I last looked into these policies, driving was quite limited. You could on drive it to car shows, parades, etc. It couldn't be used for pleasure driving. I inquired about driving it to the Jersey shore for a weekend or week (2hr drive) and was told only if I have another car to drive around while I was staying there. In other words, I was only insured for the ride down and back, but not while I was there.
through haggerty that's prob true but as I said before w grundy your covered

through haggerty that's prob true but as I said before w grundy your covered

I agree... I asked the rep a ton of questions and it seemed like as long as I had another primary vehicle registered as a daily driver than they didnt really care where I went with the tbird. I read the entire policy when it was emailed and there really is no stipulations that would disqualify me. I was shocked though when it said I wouldnt be covered in the event of radiation damage or nuclear damage even if it was accidental... hmmmm if my car suffered nuclear damage I am sure that would be the last think on my mind... lol

Back