Thread: New Sc Owner with Intake Manifold Gasket Questions

New Sc Owner with Intake Manifold Gasket Questions

I just bought a beautiful 90 Sc for $600 bucks, the car has been stored for a couple of years with what they assumed was a blown head gasket. I took the car home on a flatbed, and have started to do the usual Head Gasket replacement these cars are notorious for needing.

I found that the cylinder pressures were within limits, and were pretty even across the board. I then removed the intake manifold (After Evicting Mickey Mouse from his homestead) and found that there was no seal what so ever on the gaskets and the Intake manifold almost lept up into my arms when I expected some resistance to remove it. The motor is all original with 161K miles, and has been babied since day 1. It ran rough and puffed white smoke, but did not see coolant in the oil, or leaking from the exhaust pipe..and I did not see any bubbles in the radiator. I did find a small amount of coolant in the lifter valley, but only about 3 tablespoons worth. It looked like the rear water passage seal on the drivers side rear had deteriorated and allowed water to seep into 2 cylinders.

My question is, when the Intake manifold gaskets go south, how far behind are the head gaskets? Would the recommendation be to just replace the lower intake manifold gaskets or go nuts and do them all? Suggestions, Comments, Sarcasm? Thank you in advance for any and all input!!

Thanks,
    Larry

With that many miles, it's on borrowed time if the headgaskets are original. I would change the gaskets and plan on installing new head bolts or upgrading to APR studs.

David

PS: Torque intake manifold bolts to about 23 ft lbs.
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Save a few bucks and buy the 2.8 chevy v6 arp studs! $69 at jeggs iirk and they work fine!

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    With that many miles, it's on borrowed time if the headgaskets are original. I would change the gaskets and plan on installing new head bolts or upgrading to APR studs.

David

PS: Torque intake manifold bolts to about 23 ft lbs.
    I know this is old, but I thought the spec on the lower intake bolts was 15lb/ft?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo94SC View Post
    I know this is old, but I thought the spec on the lower intake bolts was 15lb/ft?
    Yeah it is...but I think that's BS and have seen plenty of people's manifolds leak at that torque, so I use the same specs as the 3.8 NA lower manifold.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage