Thread: Motor mount to chasis ground strap

Motor mount to chasis ground strap

While doing the starter in my car last night I noticed that my ground that goes from the motor mount to the chasis was only held by the insulation only. What does this ground do to late model SCs. I dont see any problems with the car now.

It's just a part of the ground circuit for all things electrical---luckily its not the only one but primarily it keeps the heavy current used by the starter from having to use the wheel bearing for a ground path---if you don't repair it you may be replacing wheel bearing sooner than necessary...........Dan
    I don't think I have ever owned a car that was finished---unless it was totaled.

Quote Originally Posted by old_coot View Post
    It's just a part of the ground circuit for all things electrical---luckily its not the only one but primarily it keeps the heavy current used by the starter from having to use the wheel bearing for a ground path---if you don't repair it you may be replacing wheel bearing sooner than necessary...........Dan

Im confused how it affects wheel bearings?

more activity at wheel bearing
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Well I dont know which way the current will flow from the mount to the chasis or the chasis to the mount.

Electricity is simply the flow of electrons---electrons are negatively charged so the direction of travel is from the negative post of the battery to the positive post of the battery (the source of all the flow). Additionally electricity will take the path of least resistance so a copper cable is a better conductor than a steel wheel bearing but if the copper cable isn't available then the bearing will do---since the engine and transmission are mounted in rubber it can't got there through them so what conductor connects the engine and chassis? I have three braided cables connecting the engine and chassis, one at each motor mount and one connecting the passenger side head to the firewall---better safe then sorry
    I don't think I have ever owned a car that was finished---unless it was totaled.

Guess its a good thing the grounds are grounded from the battery to the starter bolt then. I didn't put my strap back on, but I also upped all my engine and battery grounds as well. It is pretty common for the tiny 12ga ground from the battery to chassis to fail, or get hot enough to melt the tops of batteries, seen it happen both ways. As far as the strap, just ford being safe.

Anyone know how long this strap is on our cars I need the one from the right to the air box area. Also a place to find them? Or maybe what metal to use ect.

Summitt racing has the factory appearing ones.

I see a few but none rubber coated. There are some rubber ones carbon.

How long do we need?

Why would you need a rubber coated one? All the metal down there is a ground.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.