Mustang hub swap to Thunderbird

MustangJake88

What all am I going to need to do this swap? I just got one HELL of a deal on a trade. I traded a guy a set of chrome Pony wheels off my Mustang for a set of '06 Mustang GT wheels that are polished aluminum 18x9" I believe. They look almost like a Bullitt wheel if some of you aren't familiar with them. I already set these wheels up beside my TBird and they look amazing. Now just need to do the hub swap. I have seen it done on alot of Birds and need some info on how to do it and what I need. Thanks :D

SN95 Mustang front hubs, 99-04 Mustang GT front rotors (if you're reusing the stock front calipers, new front hub retaining nuts. For the rear you'll need 99-04 Cobra rear hubs, hub retaining nuts and I recommend replacing the wheel bearings if they're not very new. As for brakes, you can either A) redrill the stock rear rotors to 5x4.5 or B) get 99-04 Cobra rear rotors and Fast Ed's caliper relocation brackets. Note that option B does not work well with 89-92 Tbird calipers; the 93-97 calipers are a better choice.

If your car is an 89-91 you will also need to get the front spindles from a 92 or newer tbird with ABS etc as the old spindles won't work with the calipers.

Fraser

Wow this may set me back a few dollars! :eek: Maybe I will just Ebay the Mustang wheels and use that money to buy a set of actual Cobra wheels or something similar with the T-Bird bolt pattern.

Wow this may set me back a few dollars! :eek: Maybe I will just Ebay the Mustang wheels and use that money to buy a set of actual Cobra wheels or something similar with the T-Bird bolt pattern.

There is a really good article on this in the November 2019 issue of HOT ROD Magazine, page 86. If you can't get this issue any longer, you might find it online. It's all about swapping the 10th gen T-bird metric hubs / rotors (with five ISO M12 x 1.5 studs on a 108 mm bolt circle) to traditional 5 x 4 1/2 hubs, with US 1/2 x20 studs. Way more wheel options for these hubs! Totally "bolt-on", affordable swap. Good Luck.

Back