Cobra rear brake calipers

XR7 Dave

Has anyone tried to use the Cobra rear brake calipers on their SC? The look like they would work with the 12" Cobra calipers but don't really want to spend $250 to find out they don't. :cool:

I believe it's been done but since the Cobra pad is smaller than the MN12 pad most people haven't gone that route.

Dave,

The parking brake cable comes out in the opposite direction, and the swept area of the pad is actually smaller. And the offset and caliper bolt pattern isn't quite the same, you'd have to design your own relocation brackets.

I looked at it in 2000 when I first did the article, and again a few months ago, it's not really feasible.

Regards,

Last edited:
I had a set when I did mine on the SWB. The e-brake cable location is the real killer.

some one point me in the right direction

but whats the point if you have less stopping power by smaller pads???

t'would be a downgrade wouldn't it?

cuz they look purdy. If its a matter of looks why not get your SC ones coated. I didnt bother trying the swap myself because of what everyone else had just said,

But there are the upgraded rear calipers for the CObras. Is that what your thinking?

ANd.....They are converting the gt500 brakes to fit on sn95 stangs...I wonder whos going to try that on there SC...Seems liek allot of work though

I was just thinking that instead of buying relocation brackets for stock calipers that have 100K on them, why not buy new ones that are already powder coated red? The area of the friction surface is of secondary interest because with the added leverage and heat dissipation capabilities of the bigger rotors I don't think the minor difference in pad size will be an issue. Time is money and I was trying to save some.

Damon there was a car at Carlisle with 14" GT500 brakes on it. Wasn't teal so I guess you didn't notice, huh?

Just a heads up about the powder coating on reman rear SC calipers, paint them the second you get them. The coating is terrible and lasted two weeks before they rusted to heck. :)

After I decided that I couldn't install the red Cobra calipers that I had bought for my LSC, I just rebuilt and painted my stockers using a G2 paint kit.

Attachments

• HPIM0547.JPG
    HPIM0547.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 305
Dave,

Unless it was an SC probably not! Too many mustangs. A few guys in my local mustang club are in the process of the conversion. Seems like allot of work to the spindle though

Last edited:
It was an SC and it was parked only a couple spots down from you. May not have been GT500 brakes, but they sure were 14"ers.

I'm pretty sure they were GT500 brakes, but I could be wrong. Oh1noezq111!

I can't believe you guys were all at Carlisle and no one asked Matt about his brakes. I did, but I'm old and remember anything past 48hrs.

Who goes to carlisle to talk about cars?:rolleyes: I thought it was a drinking type show.:D

But yeah mustang calipers suck for ebrake operation, especially with wide wheels. Not to big a deal on an auto tho.

I soon will have some bird calipers back on my ride along with alot of other goodies in the rear.

hey hey hey..I dont think they were gt500 brakes!!

Anyways that kit brings the wheels 1/2" which is a lil to far out for me

Back