Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this worth it?

This is off topic, but I registered like a week ago and still cant see all of the forums on this site. The Audio section is the main one I wanna see. When will this become available?

Might take a little while. I think the moderators are pretty busy - try emailing them!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Going to get the car tomorrow 200 miles away! Wish me luck I am excited.

Got the car today, and boy am I glad I did. It is a fun car and I love all of the advanced things it has for its age(full power seats, power everything, sunroof, etc...) I am guessing this thing was the fully loaded version back in 90. Anyways, it does show its age though. There is a VERY annoying creaking/squeaking coming from the back of the car. It seems like maybe it is from the back windows but I have no clue. It sounds like a bunch of turkeys are gobbling in my trunk when I hit a bump Also, the transmission I guess is out of an 87 LTD or something like that? I dont remember for sure. Is this the same tranny as what is supposed to be in there? It sort of jerks a bit when it shifts up after I let off the gas. Anyways, I am officially a PROUD SC owner!!

Sweet! Congrats!

I think the 87 LTD's had AOD's (automatics trans) also, but I'm pretty sure the SC's AOD was built a bit beefier. I know they're not identical either way, however.
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    Sweet! Congrats!

I think the 87 LTD's had AOD's (automatics trans) also, but I'm pretty sure the SC's AOD was built a bit beefier. I know they're not identical either way, however.
    This SC was an AOD for its whole life. I guess like 5k miles ago, the tranny went though so the guy put in the one from the LTD. Will this hurt the car at all?

Also, any ideas on the creaking noise?

This SC was an AOD for its whole life. I guess like 5k miles ago, the tranny went though so the guy put in the one from the LTD. Will this hurt the car at all?
    It can't hurt the car unless some how the way it shifts would make it hard to drive safely for some reason. The car can hurt the trans though, the SC/XR7 AOD was the strongest one, even stronger than the one for the 5.0 HO mustangs. I'm not an expert but I would imagine if you don't beat on it it will last, but that won't be any fun now, will it.

Also, any ideas on the creaking noise?
    Check the interior trim panels. I had one that was loose where the pieces join above the door, they can be louder than I would have thought.

BTW, we need some pics now.

CONGRATS on the sc purchase, as for the creaking, chances are that alot of the bushings, and suspention components may need to be replaced, this is something that alot of the owners of these older cars usually dont adress, unless they are from here of coarse.... but as for your concerns on how well the car will hold up for you is really based on how the car was taken care of, i had a 1993 that was always maintained and i sold it with almost 250k, in great shape still, also i have driven numerous sc's with under 100k or right around there that just would have costed way too much money to buy and maintain, but hopefully yours was taken care of, and good luck to you!

The guy I bought it from seemed like he treated the car well and didnt beat on it too bad. But of course, with these cars, everyone has that urge so Im sure he did sometimes. Other than the creaking, I love the car already, and have only driven it for one day(around 200 miles or so.) It made it the whole trip just fine and didnt even get warm, so thats a good sign I am assuming. Other than a few dents and one bad crack in the front bumper, its in great shape. I will get pictures tomorrow, its 3 am

One more question, where can I get seat covers that fit the front and back seats? I cant afford new seats at the moment.