Shootout

Nettlesd

These are just some ideas that the Shootout committee can discuss. I’m not complaining or anything so this isn’t about that. I'm just throwing some things out there.

• Is there a term period for Committee members? If not, maybe one should be implemented so that different people can be on the committee to share likes/dislikes/other concerns.<br>
  • Now that the Shootout has been opened up for other all Thunderbirds, maybe there needs to be a representative from the TCCoA on the committee.<br>
    • Yes, I do realize that a thread about the Shootout is posted on TCCoA but maybe someone from that board might bring in new ideas or have a voice for its members.<br><br>
  • Make the event more centrally located<br><br>
    • Our highest Thunderbird turnout was at the 01 National event which was held in Oklahoma. Now that all Thunderbirds are included, maybe it’s time to move the event to better represent the population.<br><br>
  • Dialog between SCCoA members and the Shootout committee. Maybe we need an SCCoA representative on the Shootout committee that would voice likes/dislikes/other concerns. This would be outside of the SCCoA members who are on the committee.

Maybe the TCCoA & SCCoA (assuming the SCCoA isn't directly involved with the SC Shootouts already) should have their own shootouts!

three times the events, three times the fun, and probably at least two times the turnout! :D

Duane:

Thanks for the feedback...I'm certain Dave will jump in here soon as well but I'll throw out my impressions for now.

I don't think there is a term limit on the committee but I do know that there generally isn't a huge outpooring of members looking to join. Most decisions are discussed openly with everyone in the general forums so most everybody should have a place to voice opinions on just about everything.

Generally the TCCoA guys are pretty laid back towards the shootout, perhaps because of the SC/XR7 branding but I think that expanding the Shootout to include as many of them who would want to participate is definately where things are headed.

We had the Shootout in OK about 4 or 5 years ago and we had nearly the exact same turnout as we did the year before in Norwalk and the year after in Dayton. In fact not only was the total turnout very similar but the majority (I'm thinking about 80%) of the people who attended were exactly the same. The effort was made to move further west but I don't think it changed anything significantly as far as attendance and was far more difficult to plan and execute due to the distance from the people who organize things.

Feedback from the membership is important, but I can attest that nothing happens in secret amongst committee members every major decision is discussed openly on the forums.

Sounds a little like I'm defending the status quo here which is not really the case, I'm certainly open minded, just pointing out things as I currently understand them.

Thanks again Duane

These are just some ideas that the Shootout committee can discuss. I’m not complaining or anything so this isn’t about that. I'm just throwing some things out there.

• Is there a term period for Committee members? If not, maybe one should be implemented so that different people can be on the committee to share likes/dislikes/other concerns.<br>
  • Now that the Shootout has been opened up for other all Thunderbirds, maybe there needs to be a representative from the TCCoA on the committee.<br>
    • Yes, I do realize that a thread about the Shootout is posted on TCCoA but maybe someone from that board might bring in new ideas or have a voice for its members.<br><br>
  • Make the event more centrally located<br><br>
    • Our highest Thunderbird turnout was at the 01 National event which was held in Oklahoma. Now that all Thunderbirds are included, maybe it’s time to move the event to better represent the population.<br><br>
  • Dialog between SCCoA members and the Shootout committee. Maybe we need an SCCoA representative on the Shootout committee that would voice likes/dislikes/other concerns. This would be outside of the SCCoA members who are on the committee.

Duane,

Our biggest challenge in planning the Shootout every year, is with finding a suitable track that we can afford to rent. Given the difficulty we faced finding a location for this year, I don't think we will be changing locations for at least another year.

Please keep in mind, that even though we have done a lot towards making this meet more enjoyable for those who wish only to show their cars, it's still a Race meet first and a car Show second. That being the case, the track avalibility often dictates the meet location.

David

Thanks Brian for your comments. I understand where you are coming from and only wanted to throw some things out there. I'm not saying we have to do any of this but only throwing some things out there for people to think about.

Generally the TCCoA guys are pretty laid back towards the shootout, perhaps because of the SC/XR7 branding but I think that expanding the Shootout to include as many of them who would want to participate is definately where things are headed.

We had the Shootout in OK about 4 or 5 years ago and we had nearly the exact same turnout as we did the year before in Norwalk and the year after in Dayton. In fact not only was the total turnout very similar but the majority (I'm thinking about 80%) of the people who attended were exactly the same. The effort was made to move further west but I don't think it changed anything significantly as far as attendance and was far more difficult to plan and execute due to the distance from the people who organize things.

This goes hand in hand with bullet #2. Back then, I don't think all Thunderbirds were being pursued versus now, which, could change things if a lot of the TCCoA members started to bring their cars. Just playing a different angle, that's all.

Feedback from the membership is important, but I can attest that nothing happens in secret amongst committee members every major decision is discussed openly on the forums.

I don't really think it does, either. I suppose more posts like this would help in some type of dialog between committee members and paid members on Shootout discussions. I'm not saying there is anything wrong but it could be that someone or a group of people have a good direction for the Shootout.

I don't think there is a term limit on the committee but I do know that there generally isn't a huge outpooring of members looking to join. Most decisions are discussed openly with everyone in the general forums so most everybody should have a place to voice opinions on just about everything.

How would one go about joining if someone wanted to join? Maybe there should be a term limit to keep things fresh. Not sure if that is good or bad but it probably should be an option since it's an SCCoA event.

I do think this was the best Shootout ever but you'll never now if it could be even better if this or that changed.

Has Earlville in Eastern Iowa or maybe KC ever been checked out? That would be more centrally located than Oklahoma and still very accessable for the majority of the club. Harder for the eastern guys but better for the southern states like Texas and the western states like Colorado. Just a suggestion. As for the shootout itself I like the way it is setup right now with the show and racing

Ken

Duane,

Our biggest challenge in planning the Shootout every year, is with finding a suitable track that we can afford to rent. Given the difficulty we faced finding a location for this year, I don't think we will be changing locations for at least another year.

David

Oh, I totally understand that. It is also a possibility that with the larger TCCoA community, it might be possible that someone from that club could find a track that would work for us. Don't really know until you tap into that resource.

I'm not saying we need to move the event, I'm only saying we have a much larger resource to draw from and it should be looked at. There really is no reason why the Shootout can't rival the 01 National event in attendance.

Yes, racing is the name of the game and I would still go even if there wasn't a car show. Heck, I've been to every single one.

I was un-aware that this was an SCCOA santioned event? As far as I can see it has nothing to do with the SCCOA and its just a group of guys running a fun, popular event.... just that the majority of participants come from the SCCOA.

As far as getting TCCOA folks to participate more would require mending some sore "wounds" if you will. Face it, there's alot of folks over there that would rather spit on anyone from here than attend an event with alot of SCCOA guys, and I'm sure there's some over here that feel the same about TCCOA. There's been a few "clashes" in the past and as we all know, folks would rather remember the bad crap than remember the good stuff :rolleyes:.

Fraser

David,

What kind of price point do we need to be at to rent a track? Would the committee mind if we (members) contacted the local tracks to see if they can meet the requirements. (just requesting estimates for a possible event)

As you well know Tri State Raceway is a great track and I think this track might be within the budget. I would need to do some research on dyno's in the area (biggest problem for this location) and hotels that could hold our event. But I believe this track is a viable location.

Thanks
Michael

P.S. I'd like David Dalke to make up a few of his famous maps he did for for the 2007 shootout showing location of the reoccurring members that attend a shootout and each track that might be a viable location. Then show other members that might attend because of the new possible location.

I've said it before and I think it still holds true now, the guys on tccoa still see the shootout as a "sc" only thing. I keep trying to get that thought out of their heads but that's the way they are.

One thing I wish could happen is to have a shootout specific forum both here and tccoa

who all is on the committee??

Why doesnt the LX guys have a shootout dependent to them. Held at the same time as the SC shootout. Or change the SC shootout name much easier. Ever year we have this discussion and it ends up beind the same.

The LX guys can have their own set of trophies and prizes. Maybe that will get them to come. Who ever organizes that can team up with Dalke on the track stuff.

I've said it before and I think it still holds true now, the guys on tccoa still see the shootout as a "sc" only thing. I keep trying to get that thought out of their heads but that's the way they are.

Look at bullet #2. Knowing that someone from their community sits on the committee may be the break through they need. It can't hurt.

i HAVE THE DYNO ISSUE FIXED IF NEED BE. I HAVE a freind who own's a dyno pack dyno it's portable and the car's don't have to be straped down and it's on the ground not up in the air like most portable dyno's.
you take the rear wheels of the car and install adapter shaft's to the car that lock into the dyno.He would be willing to travel if needed just a thought.

Duane, if you'd like to be more involved with the Shootout, we are looking for new committee members who can contribute materially to the event. For example we are looking for someone to take over the promotion and administration of the car show portion of the event. If you are interested, you clearly have the credentials......

David

Well if you make the shootout more like the mn12 naionals of the past where all mn12/fn10 cars can compete then youde get more entries. Then your dealing with all engine combos, 3.8 NA 3.8 SC 4.6 SOHC 4.6 DOHC 5.0

But I guess it all depends what you want to keep this as and how large do you want it to get.

I think the return of the mn12 nationals would be a great idea

Well if you make the shootout more like the mn12 naionals of the past where all mn12/fn10 cars can compete then youde get more entries. Then your dealing with all engine combos, 3.8 NA 3.8 SC 4.6 SOHC 4.6 DOHC 5.0

But I guess it all depends what you want to keep this as and how large do you want it to get.

I think the return of the mn12 nationals would be a great idea

I don't want to make the SC Shootout more like the MN12 Nationals. The MN12 Nationals failed after about 3 seasons.

Currently (and as always) all MN12/FN10 cars are welcome at the Shootout, where HAVE you been? :confused:

Why call it the SC shootout if all are welcome? :D Its kind alike..Ya yall can come..But we arent really catering to you..But you can come...If you reallly want to.

The mn12 nationals would still be going on if the persons responsable for it wanted to keep it going on. Thats the bottom line. Same would go for this shootout. Face it you guys started this event because the other was gone. Perfect oportunity

It just seems what people are voicing is more then just including other then SC vehicles but making the other vehicles just as much a part of the event. Thus making it less then an "SC Shootout" and more like an MN12 Nationals where all is welcome and catered to equally.

I'm not saying one is better then the other. Two different concepts. Ones inclusive ones exclusive. Regardless of saying all is welcome.

Either way the chances of me going to either is equal and dependant on personal reasons and distance.:eek: SO no matter what you do it isnt going to get my butt there any faster.

Why call it the SC shootout if all are welcome? :D Its kind alike..Ya yall can come..But we arent really catering to you..But you can come...If you reallly want to.

The mn12 nationals would still be going on if the persons responsable for it wanted to keep it going on. Thats the bottom line. Same would go for this shootout. Face it you guys started this event because the other was gone. Perfect oportunity

It just seems what people are voicing is more then just including other then SC vehicles but making the other vehicles just as much a part of the event. Thus making it less then an "SC Shootout" and more like an MN12 Nationals where all is welcome and catered to equally.

I'm not saying one is better then the other. Two different concepts. Ones inclusive ones exclusive. Regardless of saying all is welcome.

Either way the chances of me going to either is equal and dependant on personal reasons and distance.:eek: SO no matter what you do it isnt going to get my butt there any faster.

Damon,

Sorry, but you have to attend at least one time before you can expect to have your suggestions for making changes taken seriously.

David

I like the current location of the shootout. Tri state would be even better (closer) for me. Like someone said earlier good luck finding a decent hotel there. Try the hamilton inn :eek: im pretty sure you can rent it by the hour!

i like the current location, even though there aint an easy way for me to get there. ton of fricken back roads.

i dont care where it is, just want to get more people out there is all, it was fun this year, i miss hanging out with the tbird guys. the years at wfc were fun but most everyone that was there went to the car show, the times i go to nmra races is fun but there are no mn12 guys there to hang with. the shootout is cool it gets me the best of both worlds. i think next year if its at muncie and if the track has their same schedule im going to enter into their show on fri or sat, id like to get some others to join me. i cant wait til next year.

Back