Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shootout

Moving the location--no matter where--will inherently prevent some people who attended this year from showing up while also encouraging other people who did not attend this year to show up. It took me a bit over 8 hours to get to this year's shootout from Chattanooga, TN, so naturally I'm not keen on moving the event any farther West. Now what I prefer isn't entirely important but consider this: the Club Clash in Iowa and Joel Bender Nats in MD provide alternatives for people who, thanks to geography, can't make it to the Shootout. In addition I feel that there exists a regular crew of Shootout attendants who feel, with justification, that this is "their" event. I've attended the last four Shootouts and I know lots of other people have been to more than that. I really think that this event belongs to the people who attend it (including the organizers, certainly) and that moving it out from under them wouldn't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
    I really think that this event belongs to the people who attend it (including the organizers, certainly) and that moving it out from under them wouldn't be right.
    I'm fine with traveling 8-10 hours to go to a shootout. But if money is becoming an issue maybe we should consider other locations.

That is why I suggested that XR7 Dave make another one of his nifty maps. It would show the location of each of the attendee's over the past few shootouts. Like this one:

Unless most people moved, it isn't going to change much. The location was already decided based on people's locations; Dayton! There may have been other factors that I'm not aware of.

There wasn't a shortage of car this year, it was still a good turn out. It seems that most of the attendees are from the Midwest area.
    CORN GAAAAASSS!!!

I didn't make it on the map

Quote Originally Posted by 90blkbrd View Post
    A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000. Is this low enough to be considered for a shootout?

I'm sure a suitable hotel could be found in Manchester (11 miles) or Dubuque (36 miles). For reference Portland was 21 miles from Muncie Raceway.
    Tri State is too far out in the middle of nowhere to be considered for a Shootout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Well I cannot believe I read that whole thing but anyway.

Dave keep it up, dont change a thing.

What needs to be kept in mind is the fact that "The SC Shootout" is talked about on here, it is not an SCCoA sanctioned event. It is just a central location for it to be discussed. I challenge anyone to host their own event and get great results. I am not saying it cant be done, but Dave spends so much time and money to make sure the event only gets better. Now that Dave has so many events under his belt, he only continues to make the event better. It seems each year an obstacle is overcome each year, location, dinner, dinner location, track.......bla bla bla. If you dont like the location of the event, have one close to your home.

Be part of the solution, and back up your suggestions. I hope if your going to offer the suggestions and help you better come through.

See you guys in 2010.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyd0g View Post
    Me neither.

I think the event is great as is - all around. I hated missing this year but I plan to be there next year.

Why don't some of the people who want to see the event moved start their own event? I'm not saying that to be a jackass--I think it would be great if, in addition to the Shootout, there was a "Spring Shootout South" or "Texas SC Nats" or whatever. I'd also love to see an SC gathering for a road course or auto-X event but I'm not going to try to turn the current Shootout into that event.

I can see that people don’t quite understand my initial post. My post was meant to inspire, discuss and generally think about the bullets I had posted for the committee. It doesn’t mean the committee needs to do anything different than they have been doing but it does open up the possibility to say; “You know what, I’ve never thought of that before”, “That does raise a question if ….”, “That’s a totally different angle”, “Nice idea but not practical”..blah..blah..blah.

If no one took different angles or views on things, where would we be?
    SCCoA Member #247
    Hardcore TBU #5 (in tow)

Smile try this for size...

[QUOTE=90blkbrd;845337]A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000.

When I put together the "Midwest Bash" track rental was FREE. YES, FREE.... Everyone just paid the normal price for racing and that was it. We got to use the short lane and whenever we had 4 or more cars in the line we got to go. There was no real waiting and everyone had a great time... Something to think about and yes it is a NHRA track with lots of room.....Rich
    Too many cars,too little time to drive them. Anything less than 500 cubes is a small block. If you slow down in life you will get run over..

[QUOTE=pro street rich;845517]
    Quote Originally Posted by 90blkbrd View Post
    A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000.

When I put together the "Midwest Bash" track rental was FREE. YES, FREE.... Everyone just paid the normal price for racing and that was it. We got to use the short lane and whenever we had 4 or more cars in the line we got to go. There was no real waiting and everyone had a great time... Something to think about and yes it is a NHRA track with lots of room.....Rich
    as long as Marcell is not in the picture, ill consider going there, but highly unlikely after what he pulled this past weekend with the true street event

Quote Originally Posted by pro street rich View Post
    Rich, the club clash is held twice a year on the same day as Test and Tune the only cost is the entrance fee. When not racing as part of the club clash you can make as many passes as you like and you could easily get in as many passes as you would want to do. I've never seen test and tune "busy" there. I believe Tri-State also kicks in for the trophies, I'd have to ask Albee what they all do for that event.

For a 20 car field only and only one class of racing (bracket) this works great but for the number of classes a shootout uses I don't think it would work very well and that is why I inquired about track rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyd0g View Post
    I believe that map is from a 2005 thread and I'm not on it either.