My latest project

Hmmm....I will have to look into that. I would think that without welding them they would split.

SWS

The ones I made are split cut just like the stock steel ones. I dont see how they would distort - the rubber bushing fits over the sleeve VERY tight. Unless you can find or machine a set out of steel, I'll just be using my home made sleeves. I'm not too worried about it, not going to let it hold me back from getting more work done on this project.

- Dan

dec7.jpg

Transmission installed. The donor vehicle most of these parts came from was in an accident, so when I went to install the Transmission X-member, it did not line up at all. So I took the 95 LX X-member, swapped the counterweight from the bottom of the Mark to the Tbird one, and drilled the two new mounting holes on each side of the original slot - then I had to flatten down one of the raised portions for the Mark mount to sit on .. or I could have picked up a replacement from a Junkyard .. :rolleyes:

dec8.jpg

I removed all of the old stuff, and installed the Mark 8 aluminum diff ( 3.07 gears ), 93 one piece Mark driveshaft, Control arms, and Disc brake rear knuckles ..
I dont have any perches for the LCA's at the moment and need to replace the upper spring sheet metal mounts at the body.

Next to do .. Cobra rotors, brake lines, Install Mark 8 gas tank and Fuel lines up to the engine ..

- Dan

i love what your doing with the car, it looks great. stupid question, how did you post your pics? im new to forums and your look better than mine do. mine look like this

this is my 1991 3.8 Supercoupe engine. rebuilding her now.

P6110032.JPG

rob

dec7.jpg

Transmission installed. The donor vehicle most of these parts came from was in an accident, so when I went to install the Transmission X-member, it did not line up at all. So I took the 95 LX X-member, swapped the counterweight from the bottom of the Mark to the Tbird one, and drilled the two new mounting holes on each side of the original slot - then I had to flatten down one of the raised portions for the Mark mount to sit on .. or I could have picked up a replacement from a Junkyard .. :rolleyes:

dec8.jpg

I removed all of the old stuff, and installed the Mark 8 aluminum diff ( 3.07 gears ), 93 one piece Mark driveshaft, Control arms, and Disc brake rear knuckles ..
I dont have any perches for the LCA's at the moment and need to replace the upper spring sheet metal mounts at the body.

Next to do .. Cobra rotors, brake lines, Install Mark 8 gas tank and Fuel lines up to the engine ..

- Dan

which counterweight are you refering too?

dec11.jpg

Getting ready to put in the gas tank .. fuel lines all the way from the engine to the rear of the car. I think I will shorten or re-route the vapor lines.

dec12.jpg

I got the transmission wiring harness, Starter, and shifter cable hooked up .. installed the first half of the Mark 8 LSC Dual exhaust. :D

I am still trying to at least get the engine started before the year ends, still have a lot of loose ends to wrap up though.

- Dan

How does the gas tank you are installing differ from what you had in the car ?

David

Originally this car had a 91 gas tank but I replaced it with a 95.

The Mark 8 gas tank has a different bucket the fuel pump sits in - inside the gas tank. Blown96bird took some comparison pictures on TCCOA of the differences between the Mark and Tbird fuel pump buckets and their inlets. The Mark has a larger inlet and should be able to support more fuel flow, but I am not going to be using a high volume fuel pump unless I decide to supercharge this thing one of these days.
The fuel pump itself also has a pigtail harness connector instead of the grease filled clip on type on the Tbirds, and there is an additional vapor line for the Mark tank / charcoal canister setup.

Ben2go - Do you mean South Carolina, or Southern California ??? ;)

- Dan

Last edited:
Southern California

Ehhh ..... nooooo. So-cal is terrible, it is much nicer where I live now, about an hour south of San Francisco, 30 minutes from Santa Cruz. If anything, I want to move to a smog exempt state. :D

- Dan

Ehhh ..... nooooo. So-cal is terrible, it is much nicer where I live now, about an hour south of San Francisco, 30 minutes from Santa Cruz. If anything, I want to move to a smog exempt state. :D

- Dan

For people,it probably is rough,but for a car,it's great.Low to no humidity,very little rain, until this year,and no salt or crap on the roads in the winter to rust everything.

jan1.jpg

Getting the rear end back together, I used the original Cast Tbird control arms instead of the Mark aluminum ones - dont have a perch at the moment. I also replaced the upper spring perch, drilled out the spot welds and swapped it for a decent one - the original one had the spring mount cut down very short for an air suspension bracket. If anybody has an spring perch to body metal for the Passenger side, let me know. ;)
Cleaned up the dust shield, grinded the knuckle edge and installed brake relocating bracket. Sprayed some more rubberized undercoating.

jan2.jpg

Set of Cobra front and rear rotors - re-drilled for the Tbird pattern. I borrowed my cousins Drill press and made a Jig to re-drill the Tbird pattern on these rotors.

jan3.jpg

I had to cut a hole in the inner fender for the fuel lines - the 1991 body doesnt have the hole in the same location as the later models ( 93+ ? ) .. so the fuel lines are ran to the engine as of now, just need to put in some New gas. Installed new Fuel filter, topped off the engine Oil, put in 4 quarts of Trans fluid, topped off the coolant, and the power steering.

Still need to tie up a couple loose ends though ( tranny lines not connected to the cooler, and a few wiring connectors, pick up some more fluids .. ) before I try to start it. :cool:

- Dan

Last edited:
Back