My latest project

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good remarks. :D

.. did some mork work last night. :cool:

jan5.jpg

Console on the left from a 94 5 speed SC, beat down very bad. Right one is from a 95 LX, fantastic condition. So I stripped them both down, drilled out the plastic welds on the inside plastic to outside with a countersink bit and pryed them apart .. then glued it all back together.

jan6.jpg

Console in the car, not fully installed yet. I cleaned up the plastic from the SC console base but it is still UV / weather faded .. I might try to find some trim paint to match a little better later.

jan7.jpg

Took a shot of the front end with the hood closed. No more headlight gap with the 97 lights / 94 hood.

jan8.jpg

Next to do, cut the mufflers off the LSC dual exhaust backhalf .. I have a pair of Cobra 03 bypass mufflers in the trunk of the car .. want to see how it sounds without mufflers first.

I put a little gas in it, and connected a few more wiring connectors under the dash to the engine bay. Need to check a couple more in the trunk, and currently charging up a battery to see if I can prime the fuel system .. more to come. ;)

- Dan

... well I ran into my first problem last night.

Put the battery in, and the key to the Run position .. Gas starts spraying out of the Fuel rail at the Injectors. So I need to fix this small problem before proceeding. :eek:

- Dan

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid849.photobucket.com/albums/ab53/ddubb5150/91bird.flv">

IT's ALIVE !! :D Video for anybody who wants to hear it. Exhaust is only bolted on as shown in previous pictures - the back half isnt installed yet.

.... Fixed the Fuel leaking out of the fuel rails by bending the rails slightly and replacing one of the O rings. Started it right up on the first try .... Idles at about 3000 RPM .. need to fix something, I have a couple ideas .. the HVAC Blower is running because the Climate control module isnt plugged in .. neither is the Info center, or its buttons .. :eek:

- Dan

Last edited:
rear1.jpg

A little more progress on the rear end, installed the SS brake lines, Cobra rear rotor, and grinded the caliper mounting bracket down to fit. E-brake cables hooked up now, its a good start. Thanks to fast Ed for coming through with the hub rings for the rotors. I also installed the rear half of the Mark LSC dual exhaust with the Mufflers cut off but two of the nuts are seized to tighten down the exhaust coupler .. :rolleyes:

As for the engine, I fixed the idle problem ( vacuum leak ) by filling the throttle body IAC cavity with RTV and making a backing plate gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. Idles right around where it should but the computer hasnt learned much since I keep unplugging the battery.

- Dan

Some older pictures of the car ..

2004 - This is when I picked the car up and started stripping it down. Blown head gasket ..

2004.jpg

2004-2.jpg

2005 - One year later .. had rebuilt the car completely with the wrecked 95 Tbird, engine, transmission, suspension, etc .. had the cobra wheels, and lowering springs.

2005.jpg

2005-2.jpg

.. been at this one a while now, 6 years almost.

- Dan

Side note: What did you do to keep the body line there at the door handle? Did you have an additional panel that was "cut to fit" there?

SWS

I only shaved the door handle part .. welded a filler plate in place but when the welds were ground and cooled, the handle area sucked in a tiny bit so it had a skim layer of body filler applied up to the body line area, the body line was never touched just painted over. This was back around 05 when the car had a totally different plan - it was going to be bagged and everything.

I sold the shaved doors and used another pair of 95 doors that I have 1997 handles for - I realized there might be a problem if I take the car to the track in the future, which is why the newer pictures of my car has White doors now. Now that I look through the pics I posted in this thread .. there arent any side view shots of the car yet. :D

- Dan

Last edited:
I'm looking at a couple different tires for the car ... Wheels are 17x9".

I'm just trying to decide between the 245/45/17's or the 255/50/17's. Maybe some Nitto's. Anybody have any recommendations ??? :D

Thanks

- Dan

I'm running 255/50/17 with 1.6" drop springs and with 2 people in the backseat they rub. They look good as they fill the wheel wells, so maybe I'll just add air bags to help the rear squat.

I'm looking at a couple different tires for the car ... Wheels are 17x9".

I'm just trying to decide between the 245/45/17's or the 255/50/17's. Maybe some Nitto's. Anybody have any recommendations ??? :D

Thanks

- Dan

I reccomend 245-45-17s on the front and 275-40-17s on the back.

David

I have 17*8 99 cobra rims with 255 in front and 285 in back Nitto 555's..I think the 9 inch rim may push the tire out a bit though..If not and the extra inch is in that size would fit great

I was comparing some tire size caculations .. looks like the 255/50 and the 285/40 are closest to stock size diameters .. and that 285 has a nice 11" section width. I am just wondering if the tires will rub while turning up front or in the back. Ive always used 245/45's and never had any issues.

- Dan

Last edited:
My fronts with a 1.5" drop dont rub at all. The rears I had to roll the fenders to avoid cutting the tires. Funny thing is rear didnt rub untill I installed my Delrin bushings. When it rubs it sslightly and there are no sharp edges now. I think a 9" rim though would flatten the tire out with less a buldge and less if any rubbibing...So long as your extra inch isnt OUT. Chris made his 99 cobra rim a 10" with a 315 and it clears the inside,

I went with that 285/255 combo because of the height. Fills the wheel wells lovely. I have photos of them I believe in my garage on here

The roll on my rear quarters is very light. Cant even tell unless you look real close. A little more and I doubt it would rub at all...Regardless my tires are fine

2-25.jpg

So I ordered a pair of 255/50/17 Nitto 555 tires ( these will go on my front end ) .. they lost my first order. Then the second order gets shipped somewhere else .. :rolleyes: Then I get these finally installed, need to order the rear tires next .. but I still havent decided on the size.

Going to be swapping some parts in the front end before I put these on. Next to install: ABS front Spindles, Cobra 13" brakes and calipers, SS brake lines, brake line to ABS master, Bleed brakes, install ABS sensors, etc .. hope to have more pictures and progress soon. :D

Edit : looks like the tires are rubbing on the spindles ... may need to break out my grinder, but Im not sure that will be enough to make up for the amount these tires might flex.

Second look : Looks like the tire shop installed a weight on the back of the rim which is hitting the spindle.

- Dan

Last edited:
228-1.jpg

228-2.jpg

Swapped the front spindles, installed Cobra brake calipers, brackets, SS brake lines ... and I have a pair of 3mm spacers on the way so I can clear the spindle with the wheel weights in the back. :rolleyes:

- Dan

mar1.jpg

Took it out of the garage today and test drove it around the block. I still have a problem with the transmission so it will be taken out again ....... :rolleyes:

- Dan

Back