Ok to run w/o an oil filter?

grey500se

My car doesn't see many miles and I need that space for other components, I have a remote mount now but that's taking up too much space too, any negatives to this?

here's a kind of bypass I want to use

Attachments

• oil_filter_bypass.gif
    oil_filter_bypass.gif
    56.4 KB · Views: 93
Seems to me (and I am no master craftsman) that with all of the stories about "I change the filter every 3000 miles and the oil at every 12000" stories that you would realize that with todays synthetic oil that the filter is the most part of the system after the oil pump. I would never run an engine without a filter. As a mater of fact, I never buy a standard filter only the premium ones.
I will go on to say in a Mark 8 any filter that doesnt have a drainback feature causes premature failure of the timing chains and tensioners.

The primary function of the filter is to remove the contaminants from combustion gases in the crankcase combining with the condensation from warming up and cooling that happens with an engine in normal operation. Since the paper in the filter has a greater affinity for the water vapor that condenses than does the oil it absorbs the moisture and holds it so less acid is formed in the crankcase and its the acid that eats up bearings....do away with the filter if you want just change the oil every time you start it and you should be fine---not me for sure though.....................Dan

The primary function of the filter is to remove the contaminants from combustion gases in the crankcase combining with the condensation from warming up and cooling that happens with an engine in normal operation. Since the paper in the filter has a greater affinity for the water vapor that condenses than does the oil it absorbs the moisture and holds it so less acid is formed in the crankcase and its the acid that eats up bearings....do away with the filter if you want just change the oil every time you start it and you should be fine---not me for sure though.....................Dan

good info, thank you

My car doesn't see many miles and I need that space for other components, I have a remote mount now but that's taking up too much space too, any negatives to this?

No it's not okay to delete the filter. I'm wondering what components you need the space for, could possibly be of greater importance than the oil filter ?

David

PS: If you need more space delete the oil cooler and remote mount the filter.

No it's not okay to delete the filter. I'm wondering what components you need the space for, could possibly be of greater importance than the oil filter ?

David

PS: If you need more space delete the oil cooler and remote mount the filter.

Need it for a twinscrew 2.3, recall, I have a SHO motor, so its mounted where the AC compressor was, the M90 barely clears my remote mount adaptor, the 2.3 will not clear.

What about using my oil pressure sender hole and running the filter lines through that and drain it back above the oil pan oil line?

PS-I like posting over here, the sho's guys don't like PD's S/C's or they don't know as much about them.

Can't you look at mounting the remote oil filter inside the fender well? It'll be a pain to change, but it'll be out of the way.

Fraser

Need it for a twinscrew 2.3, recall, I have a SHO motor, so its mounted where the AC compressor was, the M90 barely clears my remote mount adaptor, the 2.3 will not clear.

What about using my oil pressure sender hole and running the filter lines through that and drain it back above the oil pan oil line?

PS-I like posting over here, the sho's guys don't like PD's S/C's or they don't know as much about them.

All the remote adaptors I've seen take up less space than the bypass picture you posted. Can you post a picture of your motor to show how much space your working with ?

David

Sorry I have 90 degree elbows coming out of the remote adaptor not straight out like the model shows, then the hoses route over inlet tube and the filter is where you can imagine your tow hook point is.

Here an old shot when I was putting in the M90.

Attachments

• PB300240.jpg
    PB300240.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 130
  • header002.JPG
    header002.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 123
Wow...that makes a Super Coupe look easy to work on. Still can't tell where the oil filter is supposed to be, and I also couldn't help from thinking that it would be a lot easier to use a turbocharger than to try mounting that large of a supercharger down there.

David

If your looking for space run without the filter until the engine starts knocking then remove the engine and boom there ya go, a open engine bay all the room in the world.

Or just relocate it http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73442

Always Smiling,
Jerry

Last edited:
Wow...that makes a Super Coupe look easy to work on. Still can't tell where the oil filter is supposed to be, and I also couldn't help from thinking that it would be a lot easier to use a turbocharger than to try mounting that large of a supercharger down there.

David

Its right there, just enough room for the remote mount adapter. I love the low end grunt of the PD pump, so I'll make one fit, BTW-its in a Honda Prelude too!

So what about using the oil pressure switch which is on the backside of the engine?

Attachments

• oil_filter_shot.jpg
    oil_filter_shot.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 103
Its right there, just enough room for the remote mount adapter. I love the low end grunt of the PD pump, so I'll make one fit, BTW-its in a Honda Prelude too!

So what about using the oil pressure switch which is on the backside of the engine?

sorry no help for you project but you need to get some pics up of this project you say its in a honda. lol this thing has to be pretty fast. what a combo you got going on there!:eek:

Sorry, I don't know enough about those motors to comment on where else to get oil.

David

Back