Ecu ?

ugotdrug

i have been looking for a ecu for my car for a wile now and i found a whole car for 500 bucks but it is a auto and mine is a 5 speed they are both 3.8 super coupes. mt question is will the ecu in the auto work in the 5 speed? i would like to know befor i buy this car but was wanting to find out first. ooh and they are both 1990.

thanks jason

The engine will run but the idle will flare a lot when shifting. The calibration for a manual is different when it comes to the dashpot (IAC control). Timing will likely be a bit different too for tip-in spark retard.

If you are planning on modding the car in any way a chip can take care of any issues if your tuner loads up the chip with the calibration code your 5spd uses, not what is on the sticker with the EEC from the auto.

As described you may see some flaring during shifting. On a stock car it won't be that noticable.

Fraser

not planing on doing any mods to it. it is stock as it can be i just want to drive the thing it has been sitting for almost a year. it has took me this long to locate one in the area that i am in.

on a side note if the timeing is different could i take the harmonic off the auto and put it on the 5 speed? just a qustion please dont flame me for it i am new to these things.

thanks jason

You could in theory take off the harmonic balancer and replace it onto the 5 speed, but chances are it will fail.

Nice name.....:rolleyes:

on a side note if the timeing is different could i take the harmonic off the auto and put it on the 5 speed? just a qustion please dont flame me for it i am new to these things.

The harmonic balancer doesn't adjust the timing--the computer does. It is programmed into the computer and can only be changed with a chip that overwrites the stock values. The auto/manual balancers are the same.

ok thanks guys i will be getting it then and i will have some parts for sale when i am done with it makeing mine run.

thanks jason

Back