3.27 vs 3.55 rear gears; which is better?

bernie lomax

I understand that this a subjective question which depends on the driver, goals, etc. but here's the question anyway...for a 90 SC 5 sp, to swap out the existing stock rear gears (2.73), which ratio strikes the balance better between seat ’ o ’ pants performance & reasonable hwy revving, the 3.27 or the 3.55...overdrive in the M5R2 5th gear is .75....City & Hwy driving will probably be split approx. 50/50...mild mods to the car are anticipated (exhaust, pulleys, intake system, etc.) your votes & opinions are appreciated

If you are not modding past 300Rwhp then 3.27 will provide you with some nice umph. 1st will be short but still usefull. Over 300RWHP then stick with a 3.08 or stock ratio. Do a search it has been discussed many times.

You will loose MPG as you go up since 5th will keep getting higher in the RPMs when on the highway.

never been in a t-bird with 3.55's yet but i did put the 3.27's in mine. they are alot of fun and to me they handle great on the interstate (60-80mph). and yes ill agree with everyone that with my 5 speed it is hard to get the tires to lock up with street tires. did 3 fuel level to odometer millage test on it and getting an average of 24mpg highway. didnt do city yet.

You have to consider who you are getting your advice concerning gears from. Why you ask? If you get the answer from a guy with a 94/95 trans there answer could very well be different than a person with an early model trans. The reason being is the start-up ratio for a late model with 3:27 gears is 3.42 X 3.27 = 11.1834. Now if you look at the same gears with an early model trans you have 3.27 X 3.72 = 12.1644. The difference in percentage is 8% so the perceptions in the seat of the pants is different as well as how much "gear" you have. Personally I feel for me that the 3.27 mod. was the worst thing I ever did to my 92 with an early model 5 speed. I had 3.08's in the car when I bought it. Should have stayed with them.

You have to consider who you are getting your advice concerning gears from. Why you ask? If you get the answer from a guy with a 94/95 trans there answer could very well be different than a person with an early model trans. The reason being is the start-up ratio for a late model with 3:27 gears is 3.42 X 3.27 = 11.1834. Now if you look at the same gears with an early model trans you have 3.27 X 3.72 = 12.1644. The difference in percentage is 8% so the perceptions in the seat of the pants is different as well as how much "gear" you have. Personally I feel for me that the 3.27 mod. was the worst thing I ever did to my 92 with an early model 5 speed. I had 3.08's in the car when I bought it. Should have stayed with them.

Nice post. I think alot of people get caught up in in axle ratio and don't understand there is a total ratio. I used to own a 71 Chevelle with 3.73s. That sounds quick but 1st gear in my trans was 2.52. 2.52x3.73= 9.399 total ratio. My 92 with its 3.72 1st gear x 2.73 = 10.155 total ratio. So if a kid asks me "what gears do yah got in that" I tell them 3.73s LOL.

Back