91 GSX Build (Good enough to beat Jobe)

You need the plug and the sensor for the cougar? I am sure I have at LEAST two sensors and the correct wires here if you need.

SWS

WE HAVE LIFE!​

So guess what was wrong with my trigger wheel

Nothing.

So guess what was wrong with my EDIS

Nothing.

So guess what was wrong with my wiring

Nothing.

--------------------------------------

Mark checked all of my continuity, and everything was absolutely kosher.

So we went pulled up the log viewer on the computer.

It was showing a tach signal.

I went out and kicked the parts car a few times.

--------------------------------------

As the thunderstorm raged outside --- it started :D

ITS ALIVEEE

It starts, and then idles until the stock fuel pump relay kicks off.

The TPS is wired wrong.

The old coolant feed port for the turbo (Capped) is leaking coolant :mad:

The Transfer case still needs fluid.

I am still unhappy with the wiring.

Alright Ryan!:D

Are you going to run this "monster" at KCIR this year or do do have "other" racing plans for it?

Cookie_MonsterWTH-743996.jpg

-Joel

I'm really not sure how much racing the car will see.... It's lacking the fuel system and funding to push lower than 13s.

I fully expect to see the transmission blow up. If I happen to be wealthy enough at the time, and if the vehicle's infrastructure proves to be reliable enough, I will look into a higher stall torque converter, and some fuel upgrades. As it sits, the motor should be good for low to mid 300s by only stepping up the boost.

I plan on running 12psi until then.

20754_535305857735_212401823_31977163_7751171_n.jpg

I fixed the TPS wiring tonight. I had the ground and +5v ref. reversed.

I also attempted to fix the old coolant nipple for the turbo. I took out the current plug, filled the hole with RTV, then put in a more agressive screw with some JB weld on the outer few threads to hopefully seal it the rest of the way, and hold it in place.

Chick I was talking to says the stock fuel pump relay needs a signal from the MAF above a certain current level VS TPS reading or it'll cut the fuel pump off.

Last edited:
um WOW, compared to way back when you asked to post this thread, the pics you showed then look nothing like what you have built. good job. now what are you gonna rip into so you dont get bored?

um WOW, compared to way back when you asked to post this thread, the pics you showed then look nothing like what you have built. good job. now what are you gonna rip into so you dont get bored?

Thank you!!!

I've still got a ways to go on this sucker... The HX35 "Kit" was never meant to be used on an AWD car with the stock engine cradle.

This is also the first EDIS+Megasquirt eclipse ever built.

Tonight, I pulled the PSGR seat out, cleaned everything, re-routed and finalized my battery box, and put the Megasquirt controller inside the center console so it looks better. Everything is clean, and the interior pieces are back on.

Tomorrow, if I don't get distracted again (....) I'm going to hopefully create a fuel pump relay to actuate with Megasquirt. Once that's kosher, I can move onto filling the transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, setting her on the ground, and doing idle tuning.

I also calibrated my Coolant Temp Sensor, so I can tune warmup enrichment.

Moving along slowly

*PUT DAT COOKEEEE DOWN!!!! NAOOO!!!!* /arnoldvoice

cheers mate... you never cease to amaze me... comin up to kc forever, k?

Fuel pump relay wired. I'm happy with the wiring.

Not getting a +??v out from the Megasquirt Fuel Pump line to turn on the relay though :(

My multimeter battery is dead so I really can't tell what it's doing.

I filled up the transfer case.

Then I dropped a jackstand on my face. That hurt.

Started it, and ran it through the gears in place. All engauge properly.

Filled transmission fluid (Still could probably use more, but I want to let it warm up).

Ran the car for about a minute at high idle... (2krpms)... That thing cooks quick. I got up to about 220* in that time, but was able to set close values for idle pulsewidths for tomorrow.

Dropped the set screw back, unknown change on RPMs.

The fuel puressure sender/Turbo T comming out of the oil filter bracket needs teflon tape on it. Will have to do this during first oil change.

I'm going to pick up some batterys tomorrow and record a short video clip.

I drove the GSX to work today because I slammed a pothole in the S/R and blew a tire.

Preliminary analysis of the drive shows that the turbo is blowing oil past the seals. It's a common turbo, so I'm not really worried about it right now.

The idle range was running leaner than I liked... 17:1ish... That's **IF** the wideband held it's calibration.

I added more fuel to compensate... And it started missing. I have no idea if I exacerbated a problem, or created one by adding fuel where it is not needed.

The alternator is sagging now, and the belt is making contact with my crank sensor for EDIS.

you got the turbo piping hooked up?:eek:

It was boring to drive with out the turbo, but sound awesome! Without the turbo I doubt it could even keep up with the Cobalt! but that sheriff sure could:rolleyes:

Edit: That was my first post in over a month wow

Last edited:
No, turbo piping is not hooked up yet.

I'm confused as hell at this damn thing.

It's isn't reading AFR correctly at idle.

I try to give it more fuel and it sputters and dies. The fuel map at that point looks straight up wrong compared to other values. I'm definately attributing this to a sensor flaw.

I tightened down the V-band clamp on the turbo's output tonight.

While I was down there, I noticed that one of the 4 flange bolts is loose and missing a nut.

Still confused as to why my AFRs are soo wack at idle, and why it is missing.

I played with the crank sensor too, and pulled it away from the crank until the car did not pick up tach signal anymore, just for testing. I really need a better bracket for that thing.

Very minimal progress...

I've had a swell night so its okay... Chick brought me home a steak dinner and RedBox movie.

She just got back to her place, so I figgured I'd work on the GSX

First order of business: put that nut on the turbo flange bolt

Got that done after smashing my hand... I take a closer look... The entire other side is missing nuts too! This car has no freaking nuts and the turbo was only held on by one freaking corner....

I'm mad at whoever built the setup originally.

Back