91 GSX Build (Good enough to beat Jobe)

Smashed Hand & missing hardware - Bad Things

Steak Dinner & a Movie - Good Things

I missed out on a newer truck last night by 30 minutes, had a check in hand too.

Smashed Hand & missing hardware - Bad Things

Steak Dinner & a Movie - Good Things

I missed out on a newer truck last night by 30 minutes, had a check in hand too.

Aweee damn the luck! I've had that happen, and it SUCKS! A truck sure would be nice with the weather like this

See...you SHOULD have sold me the HX and gone with the stocker...

I was trying to get a different truck back in the first part of Jan. Guy blew me off for a few days and then my son was born. Tried to get back with him and he had already sold it.:rolleyes:

SWS

Seriously? Jason's thumb could clog the impeller side of the stocker. What fun is that! :p

I did some cleanup and tied up a few more loose ends.

Megasquirt now primes and runs the fuel pump. No more manual switch.

The WBO2 gauge now is powered by the stereo power... On with the key, off while cranking.

I put a little bit of wire loom on the transmission wiring... It's a cluster to begin with, so there really isn't much difference.

I unplugged the factory ignitor since i wasn't getting a tach reading anyway. The car started on litterally the first crank of the motor, so I went ahead and pruned off all of the factory ignition wires.

I wired up a slim fan to run as if it were part of the factory system. There is a temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator. It appears once a certain resistance value is met, +12v flows through a relay, activating the fan... It's kindof a neat setup really.

I did some WOT runs just for the hell of it... I can hear the ignition missing when there's too many vibrations.... It appears the crank sensor bracket is vibrating and causing poor readings. I have mixed up some JBWeld, and am letting it harden. My plan is to goop it all around the bracket to add some structual integrity.

Ultimately, I plan to get some stiff L brackets... Put one comming off of the front of the oil pump bracket, extending towards the front of the motor 3 or 4 inches, and then have another L bracket reaching up to parallel the crank pulley and hold my sensor.

Last edited:
Choo choo and I took our cars out drifting last night. The Fusion was very predictable and easy to control. The S/R would slide all over the place with the littlest change in force. The GSX?? I couldn't get it to lose traction once. No ~~~~. I turned, it would turn. I gas, it would gas around the turn.... Meh.

So then we went to watch a movie. Parked the gsx, shut it off, no leaks, all normal.

Well, when I came home, I was in my bathroom above the garage and heard a whirring noise.

The ~~~~~~n fan shorted out and was running the whole time. Dead battery :(

I guess you could say that...

The JBWeld on the sensor bracket greatly helped suspend the movement. I still consider it a temp fix though.

Used the cooling fan the other night, and it turned off on its own. Was planning on driving it the next morning, and as in hostile territory (Independence) so I did not leave it plugged in to test. I still suspect moisture.

The alternator belt squeels upon cold starts. It needs tightened from what I've read.

This car is waiting for Megasquirt 3 to be released. It's a shame, everything will have to be retuned. I was getting 30mpg.

Once MS3 is out, I can get coil packs and a coil pack cover for the 4g63T motor, and get rid of the EDIS setup entirely.

The turbo needs an oil restrictor so that it stops spraying oil out.

The exhaust needs to be redone, with a muffler.

The solid transmission mount needs to be redone with aluminum spacers.

More wiring cleanup would help.

The radiator "Fan" setup isn't good enough, and needs to be modded.

I need to find an intercooler.

The turbo needs to be plumbed.

Then comes durability testing lolz.

repeat after me: HX35 + b6ze + MS = WIN :)

noooo... i'm not biased ;) :p

so, MS3, is this going to require a whole new hardware set?

repeat after me: HX35 + b6ze + MS = WIN :)

noooo... i'm not biased ;) :p

so, MS3, is this going to require a whole new hardware set?

I have no idea what a b6ze is... But 4g63 is the god of 4-cylinder forced induction motors. so NNEYEAHHH :p

MS3 is going to require me to pull an entirely new loom into the engine bay, rewire the ignition, possibly use a separate ignitor, and sap the signal from the cam position sensor. It's a FULL rewire... kinda like what I'm doing for the cougar....

Why in the hell does the Cougar always have to be the prototype car for all of my wiring strategies?? :confused:

ANYWHO, That leaves me with a spare MS2 3.57 to put on the Mazda when it's ready ;)

lol. b6-ze... mazda 1.6l :) i'd love to see what one of those would do with the holset. actually... the borg gm8 would make a nice amount of power on a miata engine. they are capable of handling ~250 wihtout any internal work.. add low comp forged pistons and you're good for 400 :)

of course, i've still got wood for fuji racings 184whp IRTB n/a miata... god that thing is incredible...

now, back to your wiring... sounds like a pain in the arse.. but having individual coils and an integrated coil driver would clean things up a lot. mmm.. one loom about 1/2" thick in your engine bay... and you need to teach me megatune! :D

wanna help me on my miata? i want to do a standalone harness, and tuck everything... i want an ugly car with a pretty engine bay. lol.

Wiring is calming for me now for some reason. It make me happy to get things in order and make them "Right".

Bring me the car, all of the parts I'd need, and a hard top so my Miata can sit in the driveway, and I'll do it.

You'll pick up megatune quick.... Your entire car could be tuned in the time it took you to learn to set up your MAF curve in BE.

pfff. tops are so overrated. i'll be scrounging up an 800 dollar ht for my 600 dollar miata for wintertime.

blizzaks and hardtop FTW. my 92 was awesome in the frozen stuff.

i'll get with you sometime when i come back on regular leave and we'll start collecting parts. dare i say it, i might end up hocking my QH to buy MS and some squirters for the mazda. 94 should be fine on stock pumpers and tune with stock OD on the ported blower. nice little bump in bottom end grunt without leaning it out, my knock sensor is absent so it pulls max timing across the board... lol, poor mans tune ;)

....and i totally derailed your thread ryan. i sorry. :(

btw, what size injectors are you running on the dsm? hi or lo- imp?

Tyler, You's crazy. My threads have no topics. Just a general idea.

I'm running stock 5-speed 550cc injectors on the DSM. It needs a larger fuel pump when I finally hook up the HX.

That poor car is no where close to being done. It's just put togeather to get me from A-B in bad weather. NOTHING beats AWD :)

You'll ~~~~ bricks when you see the Cougar :) It'll be soo much nicer than it was.

fair point. we are moderately on topic.... lol. i'm soooo ready to get home and start stripping all the unnecessary crap from the mazda (AC, PS, PW, soft top, Radio, etc...) add rollbar, pimpin interior, fat flares, new paint, 15" rotas and home brewed turbocharging w/MS.... goal = 250hp and 2k lbs even... much win! :D

on the shopping list:

- IC and piping
- bosch DV
- MS (i'll let you pick the flavor)
- 550cc squirters
- 190lph HP pump

i have the turbo and will end up resuming fab on the manifold i started...

I'm running a Megasquirt 2 standalone.... And using Megatune to tune it... I had to put a ford EDIS setup with a trigger wheel on the front of the crank to get the ignition set up. Once Megasquirt 3 is out, I will be going to that, as it won't need as much custom work.

It's a HX35 turbocharger. That's about all I know about it... I'll count the blades next time I'm out working on it.

I'm running a Megasquirt 2 standalone.... And using Megatune to tune it... I had to put a ford EDIS setup with a trigger wheel on the front of the crank to get the ignition set up. Once Megasquirt 3 is out, I will be going to that, as it won't need as much custom work.

It's a HX35 turbocharger. That's about all I know about it... I'll count the blades next time I'm out working on it.

I'm really interested on why you went with megasquirt instead of DSMlink????

Currently I'm running DSMlink (ECMlink) V3 and I'm going speed density.
I've got a 7blade holset HX40

I'm really interested on why you went with megasquirt instead of DSMlink????

Currently I'm running DSMlink (ECMlink) V3 and I'm going speed density.
I've got a 7blade holset HX40
I wanted to run speed density from the start, and I am extremely familiar with MS. Plus, my stock ecu had popped capacitors or something. the car would not hot start when the engine was shut off after being run a while. MS also let me clean some things up and delete a few components.

Last edited:
Back