Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: 91 GSX Build (Good enough to beat Jobe)

I drove the GSX to work today because I slammed a pothole in the S/R and blew a tire.

Preliminary analysis of the drive shows that the turbo is blowing oil past the seals. It's a common turbo, so I'm not really worried about it right now.

The idle range was running leaner than I liked... 17:1ish... That's **IF** the wideband held it's calibration.

I added more fuel to compensate... And it started missing. I have no idea if I exacerbated a problem, or created one by adding fuel where it is not needed.

The alternator is sagging now, and the belt is making contact with my crank sensor for EDIS.

you got the turbo piping hooked up?

It was boring to drive with out the turbo, but sound awesome! Without the turbo I doubt it could even keep up with the Cobalt! but that sheriff sure could

Edit: That was my first post in over a month wow
    Last edited by SuperCharged91; 01-28-2010 at 02:18 PM.

No, turbo piping is not hooked up yet.

I'm confused as hell at this damn thing.

It's isn't reading AFR correctly at idle.

I try to give it more fuel and it sputters and dies. The fuel map at that point looks straight up wrong compared to other values. I'm definately attributing this to a sensor flaw.

I tightened down the V-band clamp on the turbo's output tonight.

While I was down there, I noticed that one of the 4 flange bolts is loose and missing a nut.

Still confused as to why my AFRs are soo wack at idle, and why it is missing.

I played with the crank sensor too, and pulled it away from the crank until the car did not pick up tach signal anymore, just for testing. I really need a better bracket for that thing.

Ryan says:
    ~~~~ you jon you crashed my browser i was watching barney on

*taps foot*

Very minimal progress...

I've had a swell night so its okay... Chick brought me home a steak dinner and RedBox movie.

She just got back to her place, so I figgured I'd work on the GSX

First order of business: put that nut on the turbo flange bolt

Got that done after smashing my hand... I take a closer look... The entire other side is missing nuts too! This car has no freaking nuts and the turbo was only held on by one freaking corner....

I'm mad at whoever built the setup originally.

Smashed Hand & missing hardware - Bad Things

Steak Dinner & a Movie - Good Things

I missed out on a newer truck last night by 30 minutes, had a check in hand too.
    Jim, SCCoA Member#: 2789

"cuz Jim has mad skillz, yo!" Melon.
    "I didn't break it, I found it's weakness."
    "I didn't trip, I was testing gravity and it still works."

Quote Originally Posted by TSC89 View Post
    Smashed Hand & missing hardware - Bad Things

Steak Dinner & a Movie - Good Things

I missed out on a newer truck last night by 30 minutes, had a check in hand too.
    Aweee damn the luck! I've had that happen, and it SUCKS! A truck sure would be nice with the weather like this

See...you SHOULD have sold me the HX and gone with the stocker...

I was trying to get a different truck back in the first part of Jan. Guy blew me off for a few days and then my son was born. Tried to get back with him and he had already sold it.

SWS

Seriously? Jason's thumb could clog the impeller side of the stocker. What fun is that! :P

I did some cleanup and tied up a few more loose ends.

Megasquirt now primes and runs the fuel pump. No more manual switch.

The WBO2 gauge now is powered by the stereo power... On with the key, off while cranking.

I put a little bit of wire loom on the transmission wiring... It's a cluster to begin with, so there really isn't much difference.

I unplugged the factory ignitor since i wasn't getting a tach reading anyway. The car started on litterally the first crank of the motor, so I went ahead and pruned off all of the factory ignition wires.

I wired up a slim fan to run as if it were part of the factory system. There is a temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator. It appears once a certain resistance value is met, +12v flows through a relay, activating the fan... It's kindof a neat setup really.

I did some WOT runs just for the hell of it... I can hear the ignition missing when there's too many vibrations.... It appears the crank sensor bracket is vibrating and causing poor readings. I have mixed up some JBWeld, and am letting it harden. My plan is to goop it all around the bracket to add some structual integrity.

Ultimately, I plan to get some stiff L brackets... Put one comming off of the front of the oil pump bracket, extending towards the front of the motor 3 or 4 inches, and then have another L bracket reaching up to parallel the crank pulley and hold my sensor.
    Last edited by Silenced; 02-07-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Choo choo and I took our cars out drifting last night. The Fusion was very predictable and easy to control. The S/R would slide all over the place with the littlest change in force. The GSX?? I couldn't get it to lose traction once. No ~~~~. I turned, it would turn. I gas, it would gas around the turn.... Meh.

So then we went to watch a movie. Parked the gsx, shut it off, no leaks, all normal.

Well, when I came home, I was in my bathroom above the garage and heard a whirring noise.

The ~~~~~~n fan shorted out and was running the whole time. Dead battery

Cool true love

and the romance continues.......

I guess you could say that...

The JBWeld on the sensor bracket greatly helped suspend the movement. I still consider it a temp fix though.

Used the cooling fan the other night, and it turned off on its own. Was planning on driving it the next morning, and as in hostile territory (Independence) so I did not leave it plugged in to test. I still suspect moisture.

The alternator belt squeels upon cold starts. It needs tightened from what I've read.

This car is waiting for Megasquirt 3 to be released. It's a shame, everything will have to be retuned. I was getting 30mpg.

Once MS3 is out, I can get coil packs and a coil pack cover for the 4g63T motor, and get rid of the EDIS setup entirely.

The turbo needs an oil restrictor so that it stops spraying oil out.

The exhaust needs to be redone, with a muffler.

The solid transmission mount needs to be redone with aluminum spacers.

More wiring cleanup would help.

The radiator "Fan" setup isn't good enough, and needs to be modded.

I need to find an intercooler.

The turbo needs to be plumbed.

Then comes durability testing lolz.

repeat after me: HX35 + b6ze + MS = WIN

noooo... i'm not biased

so, MS3, is this going to require a whole new hardware set?

Quote Originally Posted by sinhumane View Post
    repeat after me: HX35 + b6ze + MS = WIN

noooo... i'm not biased

so, MS3, is this going to require a whole new hardware set?
    I have no idea what a b6ze is... But 4g63 is the god of 4-cylinder forced induction motors. so NNEYEAHHH

MS3 is going to require me to pull an entirely new loom into the engine bay, rewire the ignition, possibly use a separate ignitor, and sap the signal from the cam position sensor. It's a FULL rewire... kinda like what I'm doing for the cougar....

Why in the hell does the Cougar always have to be the prototype car for all of my wiring strategies??

ANYWHO, That leaves me with a spare MS2 3.57 to put on the Mazda when it's ready