Thread: Head gaskets!

Question Head gaskets!

1995 3.8, NAPA doesn't carry them, they tell me that head gaskets are not even carried by the Dealer any more.

If you have a source I'd love to hear from you.

Dan

BTW: I can't access the FAQ section; it says "Private" even though there are hundreds of threads there. Am I too new?

Advance Auto Parts and Autozone carry the FelPro headgaskets.

PS: To access those private threads, you must pay $15 for a membership.

Dan,
    I just looked on Advance Auto parts and found them in stock. The part number is Fel Pro 1011-2
    I hope this helps
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 914Driver View Post
    1995 3.8, NAPA doesn't carry them, they tell me that head gaskets are not even carried by the Dealer any more.

If you have a source I'd love to hear from you.

Dan

BTW: I can't access the FAQ section; it says "Private" even though there are hundreds of threads there. Am I too new?
    1992 Thunderbird SC
    13.322 @ 102.81
    1993 Thunderbird SC 5spd..white
    2002 F350 SD Diesel (SC tow vehicle)

Thanks guys! I'm having a Merry Christmas in the garage, hoping the same for you!

Dan
    Last edited by 914Driver; 12-23-2009 at 09:36 PM.

yours is 3.8... na or is your car an sc?

for an sc, if you plan to mod it later down the road, you might want to check out mls head gaskets, and arp studs.

Stock except for the cam. An SC specific parts supplier wants $135 for the top end gasket kit, Auto Zone gets $82. Head gaskets, intake, exhaust, valve seals, etc., etc.

Dan

You need head bolts you cannot reuse the stock ones, Autozone has the kits. Alternative is ARP and are then reusable.

You can go with composite HG or MLS like stated. If you are planning to go up and boost and future plans better do it right and get the MLS permatorque and ARP head bolt kit.

Thanks, I didn't know head bolts were not reusable.

It's a steep learning curve.....

I suggest you do a search on "head gaskets", there a hundreds of threads on replacing headgaskets and what all is involved . I did my first HG job in a apartment complex parking lot with a Haynes manual. Haynes manual is generic but is very useful and lists the torque values. Goodluck.

Thomas

napa sells fel-pro also. if they tell you different just go to www.NAPAonline.com you can look up your own stuff.

did you try rock auto yet.

head gaskets are a joke on the supercoupes now, i can get 'er done in 8 hours flat remove, repair, replace

that even includes the time it take me to resurface them with a low enough RA for mls gaskets, pressure check, and sandblast.

copper spray is your friend you'll need to spray the deck and the heads, don't worry about getting the cylinder walls and pistons it'll burn off

the mls gaskets have a rivet that gets in the way, you'll need to drill it out, you'll see which rivet it is quick it won't let the head sit flush.

arp head studs for the gm 2.8 v6 fits close enough to use them
    arp 233-4003 $84 summitracing.com

in 97 ford swapped all there windsor v6s to the mls gaskets to prevent the common failures they were having. Back in the 90s we were resurfacing and revalving about 6 sets a day for the dealerships.

step in the autoparts store and get the gaskets for a 97 f150 4.2 v6.
    9250-pt driver side, 9253-pt passenger side
    autozone usually has them the cheapest, the price just reduced FYI

don't forget the o2 sensors are probably toast, ntk sensors last longer than bosch and are only a few bucks more, stock is 3 wire

might as well get a bhj balancer while your at it, $350 for the SFI shoot me a PM if you need one

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    head gaskets are a joke on the supercoupes now, i can get 'er done in 8 hours flat remove, repair, replace

that even includes the time it take me to resurface them with a low enough RA for mls gaskets, pressure check, and sandblast.

copper spray is your friend you'll need to spray the deck and the heads, don't worry about getting the cylinder walls and pistons it'll burn off

the mls gaskets have a rivet that gets in the way, you'll need to drill it out, you'll see which rivet it is quick it won't let the head sit flush.

arp head studs for the gm 2.8 v6 fits close enough to use them
    arp 233-4003 $84 summitracing.com

in 97 ford swapped all there windsor v6s to the mls gaskets to prevent the common failures they were having. Back in the 90s we were resurfacing and revalving about 6 sets a day for the dealerships.

step in the autoparts store and get the gaskets for a 97 f150 4.2 v6.
    9250-pt driver side, 9253-pt passenger side
    autozone usually has them the cheapest, the price just reduced FYI

don't forget the o2 sensors are probably toast, ntk sensors last longer than bosch and are only a few bucks more, stock is 3 wire

might as well get a bhj balancer while your at it, $350 for the SFI shoot me a PM if you need one
    I would get the mustang ones better then the truck ones. Your post is accurate before we found the mustang Felpro MLS had a rubber lining on them.

Thanks, the engine is out of the car and on a stand, much easier. Once reassembled it will go into a 1968 Ford Cortina with a T5 .

I'll put up pictures as I go.

Dan