Now with even more horsepower.....

This has been out for awhile..Im wondering what the"aluminum blocked" gt500 will be,,,They havent really said yet as far as I know

Gt's are will be getting 400hp? Wow, thats kinda scary knowing the parents that will be buying their 16 year old kids those cars and not knowing how fast they can go. Even the v6 is going to be rated at 300 hp. Getting harder for us to keep up. I love my car but looking at that is depressing and discouraging knowing how expensive it is to mod these cars :(.

Getting harder for us to keep up. I love my car but looking at that is depressing and discouraging knowing how expensive it is to mod these cars :(.

An SC will never be a new car, but it will never be hard to beat your average GT, even a 400hp one. It was just wayyyyy too easy for us for so many years.

Back when a 1992 GT was running 14.20's I was running the same with just a 10% pulley and upgraded exhaust.

Back when a 1995 GT was running 14.90's I was still running 14.20's and hadn't spent a dime. (my 1990 XR7 was paid off by this time too)

Then in 1999 when the GT's finally got the PI stuff, they were running 13.80's while I was running 13.20's.

Then 05's came out with 300hp I was running 12.40's all day long.

At 400hp, the new GT will probably run mid-low 12's pretty easily, but then again, I haven't spent any money on my car since 04. Looks like the time is now to finally get back with the program. :rolleyes:

My point is that while it may be considered expensive to take a stock SC in 2010 and make it run 12.20's tomorrow, if you've had an SC for 10+ years like many of us have, it doesn't require a huge investment to keep up with the new cars. If you figure that it takes about $20K in upgrades to keep up with a new car, that still works out to no more than about $2000/year. When you consider that a new Mustang is going to cost around $5000/yr in depreciation alone, never mind the interest or principle on it, the SC works out to a huge bargain. I'll trade the odd $350 part/repair for that guaranteed $600/mo car payment any day.

But more to the point of this post, the first thing I noticed in one of the new GT photos that I saw is that you can literally SEE the frame rails up both sides of the motor! From the top! I really like this new Ford motor. In fact I'm pretty happy with the overall direction from Ford lately. I think the Duratec V6 is an awesome motor and this new V8 looks like it might be a winner also, especially if they use it in the GT 500. I've always lamented the fact that Ford used a different motor in their premium performance cars. This is something Ford has done throughout history and it baffles me. Make the basic motor good enough that it can handle the upgrades of a performance application!! Chevy figured this out about 45 years ago. If the GT 500 carries a supercharged version of the GT engine, I will start to think that Ford really has figured out the "way forward."

Looks like a winning package. I think ford will look into turbocharging for the next shelby upgrade. They are very invested to turn to ecoboost in most of their cars. If thats the case then I dont think any street SC will be able to hang. But they need to focus on what they want. changing things up every two years is not great for the reliability reviews.

Will it make the blown Shelbys more attractive or less?

I think this new Coyote engine was long due.

Last edited:
when it comes to the v-6 class i feel as if our motor company's have not advanced any by choice. in 1989 we got a v-6 with 210-230 hp from the factory. there is no reason other then greed for v-6's to still be what they are at. Chevy/Ford whatever manufacture there is, if they really wanted to they could have v-6's pushing 400-500hp easy. imo they should have long ago gone the route of powerful v-6's for cars and use v-8's for work trucks. atleast with ford unlike Chevy or dodge, Ford has some powerful v-6 classes. Chevy is either v-6 for gas mileage or v8 for power. they have no in between like ford does. power is great but reliability and fuel economy plays a big roll aswel. with the sc's class we all enjoy great power with fair gas mileage. even if something breaks the design is simple enough that most things can be fixed on the road. imo if ford is to survive, then a solid long lasting v-6 platform is the way of the future.

Lol, $20k? I was close to that about 4 years ago with my old 94. Most people with that kind of money lying around aren't going to put it one of these cars. Way cheaper to mod other cars. I can see if have owned your sc for awhile that over time it wouldn't be bad. Idk, im just gonna make mine look good, cheaper that route. I wish our cars had better after market support. It sucks for people like me just getting back into the sc world on s limited budget.

Here are some photos from the Detroit Auto Show that my dad snapped for me. Looks nice.

-Tim

Attachments

• Boilerplate.jpg
    Boilerplate.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 412_HP_1.jpg
    412_HP_1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 412_HP_2.jpg
    412_HP_2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 412_HP_3.jpg
    412_HP_3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Mustang_Top.jpg
    Mustang_Top.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 45
The March issue 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords has a huge 28 page article detailing the entire engine and its development.

Back