Still amazed....

nickleman60

.....at how big the intake ports are on my cnc'd DD heads. I think what amazes me most is how much the roof of the ports have been raised. I've got everything apart on my motor for the new cam install and was looking at the ports and then looking at the ports on a set of mild ported heads I have sitting in the garage, what a monumental difference in size...............:eek:

The new .588/.600 lift cam should help get the potential out of them.........:D

Last edited:
Ya they are amazing. I looked at them for a long time when I first opened the box a couple years ago.

I figured I would add a picture of a stock head from nearly the same angle.

Attachments

• Headshot.jpg
    Headshot.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 90
Rai - rai - raise the roof!

Just kidding. Wow, those are nice. I can see how it would really improve flow through the intake. And the unimportant sections of the port are left alone. Looks to be very efficient in terms of return vs. effort.

Forgot to tell you before I left that I replaced the missing dowel and installed a new Front Crank seal before I put the timing cover back on....No more leaky...

Last edited:
I am curious about how much is done to the exhaust ports. Do you have any pics of those?

Also, I was thinking about the first set of pics more. It looks like the trickiest port might be the #2 because the air has to make that S-curve. I wonder how the flow balances against cylinders #1 and #3, or how much work it took to get it right.

I am also wondering if DD has seen this thread? I mean, it's free advertising, but it's also his mental work on display.

I am curious about how much is done to the exhaust ports. Do you have any pics of those?

Also, I was thinking about the first set of pics more. It looks like the trickiest port might be the #2 because the air has to make that S-curve. I wonder how the flow balances against cylinders #1 and #3, or how much work it took to get it right.

I am also wondering if DD has seen this thread? I mean, it's free advertising, but it's also his mental work on display.

These pictures really do the heads no justice. You have to see them in person. They are huge compared to stock.

last I heard, dave would prefer not have flow numbers posted as flow numbers themselves don't really tell you all that you need to know. Though if you buy it, and he flowed it, I can't imagine that he won't share that information with you. Dave has a thread around here where he discusses various porting he has done and the affect it has both on max flow, and issues with balancing that flow from port to port. My guess is the CNC program he runs now is an extension of the experience he has had over the years with our specific heads and intake manifold.

note, be careful with the timing cover seal. It's a tight fit. #1, make sure you install it so it can be removed from the outside. #2, I used a seal installer tool to keep it square when I used a rubber mallet to slam it in. #3, the seal was very tight for my cover, so I put the cover in an oven at 300 for 20 minutes and the seal in the deep freeze for the same time. This made installation smoother, though at first I hadn't considered how exactly I was going to hold the hot cover when inserting the seal.

Back