Got it running! Kinda.......

justin

The car runs but not on it's own. If I let off the gas it dies instantly. I had a friend working with me on the first day and he did the oil change. There seems to be oil coming out of the dipstick......Any ideas? How many quarts do these cars take? I know this means the crankcase is pressurized, so what would be the culprit?:confused::confused::confused:

OMG! The culprit is you need to go over and kick your friend in the a**....5 quarts

Last edited:
OMG! The culprit is you need to go over and kick your friend in the a**....

Haha, don't kill me fellas I'm new to the SC for sure. I also seem to have a what may be oil coming out of exhaust but this car has not been turned over in over a year. Do you think it is just gunk from setting? And, what is the proper amount of oil? He put 5 quarts

Haha, don't kill me fellas I'm new to the SC for sure. I also seem to have a what may be oil coming out of exhaust but this car has not been turned over in over a year. Do you think it is just gunk from setting? And, what is the proper amount of oil? He put 5 quarts

why did the car sit just because it needed plates or somthing like or h/g failure if thats the case the cylinder walls are toast. other wise if it just sat for w/e reason besides coolant in the block i would assume the motor is still good. long as it had oil in it while it sat. my dads 77 f150 has sat for a few years at a time not being drove and still has no issues to this day.

The car sat because the guy I bought it off of had broken the balancer. I have had it about 4 months and have only recently had the time to get it running. So, how many quarts is ok?

After using the search button I have seen that the PCV is usually the culprit on this issue. Is there any diagram that shows how it is routed? I have followed it to the MAF pipe all the way over to the drivers vc. That seems fine. Is there anything else? Has anyone had anything like this happen? I first thought too much oil but that is not the case. Heres exactly how it is acting now, I start the car and have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, it never smooths out. As I have someone doing this I am watching the engine. It takes about 30 seconds then oil comes out of the dipstick, not alot but it kinda spits out. The exhaust is NOT dripping oil as I once thought, it was just from sitting for so long.

idle

for the idle issue make sure all of your IC tubes are air tight...

if there is any leak at all it will not hold an idle... listen to it to hear any hissing noses around the tubes. sound stupid but thats were i would start for the idle issue.

if oil is spewing out of the dipstick its time to rip her apart and find the problem, something is def not right.

I have never seen oil come out of a dipstick in my life!

post a video

The vacuum diagram should be on a sticker on the upper radiator support or on top of one of the two fenders. Pretty easy to run actually. DS breather goes into the intake tube, PCV goes into the tree (goose neck end) that connects to the inlet plenum. Boost gauge and FPR go to the return plenum. That should help.

PS: Replace the PCV valve. They are like $4 at AZ.

i know theres something about (oil out of the dip stick) in the search bar. i remember reading about it once. i dont remember as to what caused it. and i hope im very wrong here but sounds more like a cracked block and or a blown head gasket. i truelly hope im wrong though. good luck :)

i know theres something about (oil out of the dip stick) in the search bar. i remember reading about it once. i dont remember as to what caused it. and i hope im very wrong here but sounds more like a cracked block and or a blown head gasket. i truelly hope im wrong though. good luck :)

A cracked block wouldn't pressurize the crankcase. A headgasket is a possibility for sure but this has happened to a few people on here. I searched for it and everyone with these same symptoms has had either a bad PCV valve or clogged up vac line. I'm gonna start there and go on. I really hope it's something small, this is only a 60k mile car....

ok, to be clear what i meant by cracked block was cracked cylinder, that was my bad i wasnt very clear there. now keeping in mind that if that happened, you would have massive decrease of power and complete loss of idle.

just so there is no confusion, it was not a broken piston or head gasket or even rings. Thank lord it did end up being the PCV valve! I replaced it and woohoo! I have a check engine light on that comes on under high boost?

Back