!!!SOLVED!!! finally got it running, then problems with fuel pump

90turbo1

so got my 1992 running today for first time. nice smooth at 2k when start up showed 20 vacuum on guage in dash, everything ok, idle settled down to about 800-1K and then it died. would not restart. Just cranks.

checked fuel pressure and had none at rail. strange installed new wal-bro 255lph pump when motor was out and checked fusable link under hood next to battery it was ok. no fuel up to motor. so I checked that stupid inertia switch in trunk and button was popped up. ~~~... so I pressed it and nothing no pump action to think of...

when installing a 255lph pump is there anything wiring I should have changed?

or could this be just a faulty inertia switch.

thanks..

Last edited:
are you sure no wires got pinched as you put the gas tank back up?, check for grounded wires that should be grounded at the switch. disconnect the batt and do a continuity test on all the ~~~=+ wires. if you get continuity then theres your problem. another thing is, are you sure the fuel line itself got reconnected.

not sure why i cant type ( ~~~ ) it was meant as ~~~=+ as the opposite of neg. oh well

Last edited:
no wires are not pinched.

fuel lines are hooked up and still hooked up.

if I had a shorted wire wouldnt it have blown the fuse up next to battery.

i have read that the relay for the fuel pump is in trunk next to inertia switch? i dont see one there.

it just seems strange to me that the inertia switch was tripped not a fuse and when reset I have no fuel. But I had good fuel pressure when orginal start up.

relay is in the trunk its behind the carpet on the driver side can't miss it, its green or at least should be. its mounted on the black box, you twist the two tabs and pull the box down

p-o-s may be blocked because its often used as 'piece of poop'
but that's the first I've heard of it not being allowed

ok found it, also found that the theft system has one plug disconnected... does this mean my car had keyless entry?

anyway will keep everyone posted as my findings. the relay is good. 40 ohm on the coil side and it works and closes as should, when closed I have .1 ohm on contact side.

so an update,

checked inertia switch, was ok, checked relay was ok, had battery voltage at relay, jumped relay and nothing. traced wires to tank at sending unit. good voltage and good ground there.

dropped tank and removed pump and sender. postitive wire (red wire inside tank) some how became unsoldered from pin on plate for wiring harness... ~~~ and connector is black from heat.

replaced wire and cleaned pin up and resoldered it and shrank wrapped it. performed voltage drop across the connection and it checked out good now. re assembled and has been working like a champ since.

finally got to drive my sc after sooo long of waiting. now the fun can start..

thanks

Back