another fmic thread.

scxr7

can anybody point me in the right direction for a good fmic kit? I know there aren't any "kits" for our cars except for magnum powers. I'm looking at about 30 pages worth of fmic kits on ebay, but I'd like to know what piping kits and or setups you guys have. My current setup is 3" piping going from the top hat, around the alternator, across the radiator, 180 u turn, going to the intercooler across the front, then a 90* at the other end of the intercooler heading straight back to the return plenum. I find this setup to be troublesome and in the way. I'd like to do both pipes on the drivers side going down where the stock ic would be, then going with a fmic that has the inlet and outlet on the same side.

I heard those intercoolers with the inlet and outlet on the same side don't flow very well. but when in boost, flow doesn't exactly matter, is this correct?

Also, my return plenum is 3.5", so I'd have to get 3.5" piping and matching intercooler. along with custom making a 3.5" top hat outlet.. man...my setup is all F-ed up.

SEARCH BUTTON!!!

This has been talked about rather recently. Search "fmic" and you find the info you need. I think alot of guys buy from cxracing.

If you want a "kit" I think there was one for sale in the parts section.

can anybody point me in the right direction for a good fmic kit? I know there aren't any "kits" for our cars except for magnum powers. I'm looking at about 30 pages worth of fmic kits on ebay, but I'd like to know what piping kits and or setups you guys have. My current setup is 3" piping going from the top hat, around the alternator, across the radiator, 180 u turn, going to the intercooler across the front, then a 90* at the other end of the intercooler heading straight back to the return plenum. I find this setup to be troublesome and in the way. I'd like to do both pipes on the drivers side going down where the stock ic would be, then going with a fmic that has the inlet and outlet on the same side.

I heard those intercoolers with the inlet and outlet on the same side don't flow very well. but when in boost, flow doesn't exactly matter, is this correct?

Also, my return plenum is 3.5", so I'd have to get 3.5" piping and matching intercooler. along with custom making a 3.5" top hat outlet.. man...my setup is all F-ed up.

With your setup you don't need anymore than 2.5" piping..... period. If you are going to run an AR setup, then you should consider maybe going to 3", but the 2.5" should still be fine.

Fraser

too large of a pipe and you actually cause a velocity drop exact same principle when dealing with exhaust, so be sure you size appropriately, the stock lower IC pipe is actually necked down so it only flows at the efficiency of say a 2" pipe, 2.5" IC pipes should be more than adequate for any supercoupe making less than 300rwhp, try to keep your pipe lengths as short as possible, running the pipe over to the passenger side is a waste

With your setup you don't need anymore than 2.5" piping..... period. If you are going to run an AR setup, then you should consider maybe going to 3", but the 2.5" should still be fine.

Fraser

2.5" IC pipes should be more than adequate for any supercoupe making less than 300rwhp

Really? With my 2.5" pipes and a crappy tune I was making 320rwhp and probably 370 plus with the 50 shot. I'm also running 12.2's in the 1/4 mile, soon to be 11's.

yep and 2.5s will do it but with that amount of flow i don't see a 3" pipe hurting performance where as putting a 3" pipe on an otherwise stock sc might just hurt the throttle response a tad

I've got a rather small one side in/out fmic (hopefully enough for my setup but I doubt it) but it does have dual 6" 1800cfm fans and Dave told me to go with 2.75" piping in/out.

Attachments

• ic 1.jpg
    ic 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 149
  • ic 2.jpg
    ic 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 122
  • ic 3.jpg
    ic 3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 134
I've got a rather small one side in/out fmic (hopefully enough for my setup but I doubt it) but it does have dual 6" 1800cfm fans and Dave told me to go with 2.75" piping in/out.

Very nice pipes. Are they aluminum and I take they are powder coated?

Thanks! Actually they are steel and just painted silver for now...the guy did an awesome job on the welds!...Eventually i am going to ceramic coat the intake pipe and both IC pipes...should look sweet when it is all done.

I still don't see the point in going with a fmic just to keep the stock mini-rad :confused:

if your going to go out, go all out

In your first attached picture, that tube on top.....it looks like it has good flow.

Back