1997 thunderbird 4.6 to 5.4 swap.

DSM

I didn't see anything about the direct swap of a N/A 99-01 5.4l modular motor swap into a MN12 thunderbird chassis when I clicked search about... 10 minutes ago, so if I'm wrong...I'm sorry, but here is my little thread I'd like to go into technical discussion about the swap. -BTW this is about a 2v motor, not the 4v or the 4v SC cobra/lightning motor -

Alright, so I'm looking at a 1997 thunderbird with a 4.6 in it for a good price, but then there is the yearn for more power just like any other car, so what better to start going with than more displacement????

the 99-01 5.4 comes with the PI heads/cams/intake manifolds and everything else that you would normally do to your 4.6... but it's already there and ready to go, not to mention the added power that comes from more displacement.

now, physically the two motors aren't that much different, the 5.4 is wider and the deck height is a little bit taller (less than 2in).

So if that is the case, honestly the swap wouldn't be too intricate and or invasive to swap out the two motors. Worst case scenario the intake manifold wouldn't fit correctly and that would be rectified either with a cowl induction hood or with adapter plates to put the 4.6 PI intake manifold on there. dimensionally the two are close and it doesn't look like too much fabrication/relocation and or modifications would be necessary for the motor to fit into the engine bay of the thunderbird.

so, what do you all think about the swap? lets get some ideas flowing and see what technical resources pop up.

This has been covered extensively over on TCCoA. Just warning you though, you are likely to get attacked by quite a few members. From everything I read, it's not worth the expense of putting the 5.4L in there, as the 2v/4v 4.6L has been done MANY times and is actually cheaper from a price for performance standpoint.

The money you save just swapping in a 4.6L 2v/4v could be put into some nice aftermarket heads that flow extremely well to prepare yourself for forced induction. That's just my two cents.

-Corey

The 2V 5.4 offers no meaningful performance increase over a PI 4.6. A PI head swap on a 97 4.6 will be extremely easy.

fitment is tight already with the 4.6.

Best bet is to get a complete engine from a 4.6 2v explorer..Its aluminum block and PI Heads etc. Lighter and more power then a 4.6 non PI

if youre staying N/A go with the trick flow top end kit, or patriot heads and bullitt/trick flow intake manifold, pulleys, beef up the trans and youre good to go. If youre going F/I there are plenty of supercharger systems out there for these engines. Some modifications are necessary since theyre designed for mustangs. Either way, youre better off modifying what youve got and youll spend less on performance parts and still be in a better spot (financially) then you would with a complete 5.4 swap. Just my opinion :)

Import Engines

Has anyone considered a 5.4L Swap with an Australian engine? The 2008 Falcon FPV GT had 422hp with no blower. Any Ideas where someone could come by one of those?

fitment is tight already with the 4.6.

Best bet is to get a complete engine from a 4.6 2v explorer..Its aluminum block and PI Heads etc. Lighter and more power then a 4.6 non PI

Coming from a SC guy?? :p I can do cams without pulling my intake.

Explorer motor is probably the way to go. The torque from the 5.4 would be nice, though you wouldn't even utilize it without a manual transmission.

I would think that the extra height of the 5.4 would require a hood swap. I like the idea. The extra torque would be nice as would popping hte hood and telling people that you got a 5.4L. I don't know what the rev range would be on the 5.4L would be as its a truck motor. You would haveto put a tune on it to get it to rev. Maybe do a cam upgrade and then tune.

Back