Mandrel Exhaust Systems

My new exhaust is falling apart because of my poor choice in resonators Dynomax ultraflow aluminized....ID gladly go there if the price was decent!

That cost bought me two mufflers so it is up to you. If you are spending that much money get the Borla XS. IMO
I got little less then $450 roughly on this set up.

The reason that I'm looking at those is because they are (supposedly) designed to reduce/eliminate resonation. I would rather not pay that much but I have a feeling the ultra flows are gonna sound like poo and I'm trying to see if these would be a good muffler so I can avoid having the resonator.

The reason that I'm looking at those is because they are (supposedly) designed to reduce/eliminate resonation. I would rather not pay that much but I have a feeling the ultra flows are gonna sound like poo and I'm trying to see if these would be a good muffler so I can avoid having the resonator.

I dont think just two mufflers will do it no matter how you slice it. Unless you want loud, that applies to most flow thru mufflers, You could get something quiets but you will start to loose flow.

Ken how does that system sound? And what does it consist of? Do you have sound clips?

Last edited:
I dont think just two mufflers will do it no matter how you slice it. Unless you want loud.

Well with the valve thats in it, it should stay semi-quiet at part throttle and cruise and than blast the ear drums under full throttle. I'm more concerned about the part throttle and cruise noise than I am when its floored and all out flow is the priority.

All I really know is, is that I still haven't decided. I've have Borla's on my 99 SHO and it sounds great, but then its a V8. If I could hear what ours sound like just on the same muffler without a resonator that would really help me make a decision.

Well with the valve thats in it, it should stay semi-quiet at part throttle and cruise and than blast the ear drums under full throttle. I'm more concerned about the part throttle and cruise noise than I am when its floored and all out flow is the priority.

All I really know is, is that I still haven't decided. I've have Borla's on my 99 SHO and it sounds great, but then its a V8. If I could hear what ours sound like just on the same muffler without a resonator that would really help me make a decision.

The spring and valve thing sound like an great concept but, its too new for me to try. What happens over time when corrosion and soot set in and the valve gets stuck. Plus the valve is activated by the same exhaust pressure so sound like restriction depending how strong the spring is. Corvettes and Nissans use a similar technology but they are a more precise system that uses actuators, still whats the failure rate on those. These cars are too troublesome to add more things to worry about and maintain. $.02

What happens over time when corrosion and soot set in and the valve gets stuck.

That IS something I have not thought about. Maybe I should bring that up with Dynomax.

Plus the valve is activated by the same exhaust pressure so sound like restriction depending how strong the spring is.

They do offer several different mufflers based on engine size for single exhaust and a different one for dual exhaust which will all have different spring rates. I would assume for the amount of air these cars push out of the tailpipe the spring in the "dual" muffler setup would be light enough for our cars under boost.

I need your paypal info to send you this.:D

So is this true dual kit something you can buy somewhere? I am having a real hard time finding a decent priced kit for my car. I am on a very tight budget.

Ken how does that system sound? And what does it consist of? Do you have sound clips?

It sounds good. It gets really loud on WOT. My exhaust is headers, no cats, dynomax ultra flow 2-2 1/2" in 3" out, single 3" y's into 2 2 1/2"s into the pypes exhaust. I don't have any sound clips. Right now the car is tuck away in my barn.

I've have Borla's on my 99 SHO and it sounds great, but then its a V8. If I could hear what ours sound like just on the same muffler without a resonator that would really help me make a decision.

I had Borla's on my '94 before it was totaled, and the difference from going with no resonator, to adding one was huge. It wasn't so bad, but you did have drone, and yeah, I just wouldn't keep it like that. Adding a resonator cut the drone out altogether. A resonator is the way to go.

-Corey

The spring and valve thing sound like an great concept but, its too new for me to try. What happens over time when corrosion and soot set in and the valve gets stuck.

If you guys are talking about the new dynomax VT series i believe its called, I just saw one in person at the Keystone Big Show in NJ. they had one with the top cut off. I thought the same thing as Ricardoa1. also whats to say the heat inside that muffler isnt going to make that spring lose tension or break completely. Cool idea, i would never actually buy one tho. i think im gonna do either borla XR1's or magnaflows.

Well Im taking my dam resonator out at least till I get a new one back from the manufacturer. Il let you all know exactly how loud the car becomes!!!

Only has kits for 92 and up :(

Their website is a bit goofy. 89-91 all have a gas tank that requires a nearly u-bend to route the exhaust. (see the pictures above from Ricardo)

The 92+ gas tanks have a different design that allows a straighter exhaust routing. Thus from their website, the ones labeled 89-95 is really for the 89 through 91 cars, and the one labeled 92-97 is really for the 92 through 97 cars.

What are you guys buying to cut the pipes clean and smooth. I think i need to pick one of these tools up for the job. I dont have an expander and i read that only the hydraulic ones work well.

LIS31500.jpg

GSA25.jpg

is what I use, but you need a compressor for that. Otherwise I've used a hack saw before. They also make a chain you can wrap around things that has cutting wheels on it you can pull back and forth in tight spaces to cut through the tube. The compressor way is the preferred method for me. Though to be honest, I collect the parts and I have a guy that'll put it all together for me. that's the plan for the 93.

I bought a 2 1/2" saw guide for $120 from HERE, so I could make clean and straight cuts with a power saw.

Attachments

• sawgui2.jpg
    sawgui2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 193
Back