power steering whine

94wtscrunner

Went to go check out an 89 sc for sale by me and was told that the belts have all been changed and the power steering lines were replaced.
Car only makes noise once it warms up and as long as there is even slight pressure on the steering wheel the noise will go away
Did the koeo bleed procedure, started it and made the noise again
Any ideas before I make an offer on this car?
Blake

whats the fluid look like? flush it out.

i usually disconnect the return line at the p/s cooler under the passenger side at the radiator support. I then get 2 people, one to start the car and the other to fill it up with p/s fluid while its getting pumped into a container. I then hook it back up and fill the p/s reservoir turning the wheels to and fro to get the air out and lube up the pump again, the after a few minutes of running i repeat the process until the reservoir looks like the bottle.

ford puts trans fluid in there from the factory. In all my cars i pump that crap out and fill it with real p/s fluid. Never ever had any troubles with any of my cars p/s. You'd be surprised at what flushing that junk out can do for both smoothness, responsiveness, and noise.

When I replaced my power steering high pressure line, I filled it with power steering fluid because thats all I had at the time. It made a terrible whining noise. I replaced it with the Ford type F transmission fluid and the noise went away. (Don't know if was the type fluid that made the noise stop, or if I flushed some junk out when I changed it).

whats the fluid look like? flush it out.

ford puts trans fluid in there from the factory. In all my cars i pump that crap out and fill it with real p/s fluid. Never ever had any troubles with any of my cars p/s. You'd be surprised at what flushing that junk out can do for both smoothness, responsiveness, and noise.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to take a look again this weekend and I'll check if its atf or power steering fluid in it. I'll report back if anything changes.

here is a very good cure for ford power steering noises. both my bird and truck were making noise and this fixed it.

there is a service bulletin for BMW that changes the ATF in some of there cars to the Pentosin CHF 11.S power steering and hydraulic fluid. Green metal bottle and fluid is neon green also.

this can be purchased at napa for about 14 bucks a bottle and all atf must be flushed from system first. but it will cure about 90 percent of noise and its synthetic and smells good (really it does).

just wanted to pass that along.

From my experience I've always kind of figured that power steering fluid is the same as Type F transmission fluid, just without the red dye. I've used and mixed both and never had a problem. I wouldn't use much sleep over it, Type F is cheaper usually, just use that.

here is a very good cure for ford power steering noises. both my bird and truck were making noise and this fixed it.

there is a service bulletin for BMW that changes the ATF in some of there cars to the Pentosin CHF 11.S power steering and hydraulic fluid. Green metal bottle and fluid is neon green also.

this can be purchased at napa for about 14 bucks a bottle and all atf must be flushed from system first. but it will cure about 90 percent of noise and its synthetic and smells good (really it does).

just wanted to pass that along.

Has anyone actually used Pentosin CHF 11.s on their birds?

Back